POLICE BEAT: Public Safety works to reduce unlocked doors

Safety Update of the Week:
The Public Safety Department has two active Continuous Improvement teams. One is working on nuisance alarms (sometimes referred to as false alarms). The other is exploring ways to reduce the number of doors left unlocked on campus. The goal of both of these teams is to ensure a safer campus. If doors are not left unsecured, it is more difficult to steal what is inside. Security alarm systems should be installed to maximize their effectiveness without wasting resources. They should also be operated in a way that minimizes police investigation time responding to nuisance alarms. The Fraternity Row Security plan was established to increase personal safety in the Fraternity Row area of campus. Extra security and police are deployed during the nighttime hours.

Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 22

10:08 a.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Burglary
3:05 p.m. 5665 Ponce de Leon Burglary

THURSDAY OCTOBER 23

11:58 a.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr. Harassing Phone Calls
5:28 p.m. 1252 Memorial Dr. Petit Theft
6:38 p.m. 5100 Brunson Dr. Hit and Run

FRIDAY OCTOBER 24

9:15 p.m. 6000 San Amaro Dr. Criminal Mischief

SATURDAY OCTOBER 25

9:19 a.m. 1507 Levante Ave. Burglary

MONDAY OCTOBER 27

1:51 p.m. 5800 San Amaro Dr. Burglary
2:52 p.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr. Theft
3:30 p.m. 5200 Ponce de Leon Burglary/ Vehicle
4:58 p.m. 5200 Ponce de Leon Burglary/ Vehicle
6:02 p.m. 1111 Memorial Dr. Burglary/ Vehicle

TUESDAY OCTOBER 28

2:24 p.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr. Theft

The Hurricane is currently working to improve Police Beat by working with Coral Gables Police Department.
For more information on crimes and crime prevention, contact Public Safety at 284-6666.

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...