We are a world away from the problems in Israel

The recent suicide bombing of the Maxim restaurant in Haifa, Israel in which both Arabs and Jews were killed lead to a turning point in how Israel will deal with international terrorism. This was a particularly nasty attack in which the female suicide bomber casually entered Maxim, a popular restaurant in the seaside town of Haifa that is owned jointly by Israeli-Arabs and Jews. According to reports, the suicide bomber sat down at a table as if she were going to order something to eat. But underneath her clothes was an explosives vest that when detonated killed 19 and left over 50 wounded.

Among the dead were young children, mothers, and both Arabs and Jews who were enjoying a Sunday afternoon meal. The female suicide bomber was affiliated with the Islamic Jihad terrorist organization, a radical fundamentalist group committed to Israel’s destruction and which has carried out terrorist attacks against Israel in the past.

The female suicide bomber, who was from the Palestinian territories, had recently lost a brother and a cousin, who were affiliated with terrorist groups, to raids by the Israeli Defense Forces. She decided to take out her vengeance on the unsuspecting people in Maxim’s restaurant. As one of the few democratic states in the hostile region of the Middle East, Israel has a right to defend itself against Islamic fundamentalist groups committed to Israel’s destruction. Along with the right of self-defense inherent to any nation, Israel also has a duty to protect its citizens who are under constant assault from terrorist attacks.

This summer I traveled to Israel as part of a University of Miami Hillel trip to Jerusalem to study the Jewish religion and learn more about the fascinating country. I found a dynamic and vibrant scene where people of many different ethnic and religious backgrounds come together. The threat of terrorism, however, is a constant strain on the psyche of the people and the economy has suffered from decreasing numbers of Western tourists visiting the Holy Land.

Here at UM we are a world away from the problems of the Middle East. But with continued attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq and terrorism in Israel, it’s hard to ignore grim reality. Fortunately, here at UM we have a culturally diverse campus and a strong Judaic studies department that hosts lectures on Israel and the Middle East. I encourage all students interested in the events in Israel and the Middle East to attend the lectures and open discussion here on our campus.

Ben Enfield can be contacted at benjamin_enfield@hotmail.com.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...