NEWS BRIEFS

Ibis Ride extended on Halloween

Student Government recently passed legislation to extend Ibis Ride hours on Halloween from 8 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. through 5 a.m. Student government will fund the extended hours. According to Vance Aloupis, Junior Class Senator, SG wants the student body know that they are looking out for everyone’s safety.

Yearbook photos shoot this week

The Ibis Yearbook will be taking underclassmen photos from 9 to 11 a.m. and senior portraits from 11a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 27 through 31. Seniors are urged to make appointments at www.mcgrathstudios.com, password ibis. Senior sitting fee is $20. Organization photos are scheduled Oct. 27 through 30 from 6 to 11 p.m. by appointment only. To schedule an appointment contact ibiseditor@hotmail.com.

Orientation Coordinators wanted

Were you an Orientation Assistant last year? Do you feel you are a dynamic, energetic leader? Do you want to become more involved with the Orientation program? Applications are now being accepted for Orientation Coordinators. OCs work with the Orientation Assistants during Fall Orientation and are directly responsible for managing the Orientation program. Applications are available in UC 236 and are due on Oct. 31 at noon. For more information, please call 305-284-5646.
Convocation hosts Busta Rhymes

Busta Rhymes is performing live at the Convocation Center, Thursday Nov. 13 at 8 p.m. Also performing is Joe Budden. Bringing the heat of this mix of hip-hop and reggae event is dancehall reggae sensation Cecile Plus, Liberator and Louie Rankin. Hosted by funny man Frantz, from Def Comedy Jam and BET’s Comic View. Tickets are on sale now, and students can save money with a UM Student ID, only at the Convocation Center box office. Don’t miss your chance to see one of the biggest acts in hip-hop. For more information call 305-284-8686 or visit http://www.umconvocationcenter.com.

‘Violet’ the musical plays at UM

The Department of Theatre Arts rolls out the red carpet for Violet, a toe-tapping musical journey of hope and healing. Violet is the story of a severely disfigured young woman who travels by bus across the South in 1964 to be healed by a TV evangelist. This contemporary score is rich with gospel, rock, country and rhythm and blues. Violet runs Nov. 13 through 22. The production will be directed by Michael McElroy, who received a Drama Desk nomination for his performance in the original New York production of Violet. McElroy is working with UM theatre arts majors in his directorial debut.
Be sure to catch Violet from Nov. 13through 22. On Friday, Nov. 14, as part of a special UM Homecoming celebration, which will include fireworks around the lake adjacent to the theatre, the show begins at 9:30 PM. To purchase tickets or for more information call the box office Monday through Friday between 12 and 5 p.m. at 305-284-3355, or log on to www.miami.edu/ring.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...