NEWS BRIEFS

Ibis Ride extended on Halloween

Student Government recently passed legislation to extend Ibis Ride hours on Halloween from 8 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. through 5 a.m. Student government will fund the extended hours. According to Vance Aloupis, Junior Class Senator, SG wants the student body know that they are looking out for everyone’s safety.

Yearbook photos shoot this week

The Ibis Yearbook will be taking underclassmen photos from 9 to 11 a.m. and senior portraits from 11a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 27 through 31. Seniors are urged to make appointments at www.mcgrathstudios.com, password ibis. Senior sitting fee is $20. Organization photos are scheduled Oct. 27 through 30 from 6 to 11 p.m. by appointment only. To schedule an appointment contact ibiseditor@hotmail.com.

Orientation Coordinators wanted

Were you an Orientation Assistant last year? Do you feel you are a dynamic, energetic leader? Do you want to become more involved with the Orientation program? Applications are now being accepted for Orientation Coordinators. OCs work with the Orientation Assistants during Fall Orientation and are directly responsible for managing the Orientation program. Applications are available in UC 236 and are due on Oct. 31 at noon. For more information, please call 305-284-5646.
Convocation hosts Busta Rhymes

Busta Rhymes is performing live at the Convocation Center, Thursday Nov. 13 at 8 p.m. Also performing is Joe Budden. Bringing the heat of this mix of hip-hop and reggae event is dancehall reggae sensation Cecile Plus, Liberator and Louie Rankin. Hosted by funny man Frantz, from Def Comedy Jam and BET’s Comic View. Tickets are on sale now, and students can save money with a UM Student ID, only at the Convocation Center box office. Don’t miss your chance to see one of the biggest acts in hip-hop. For more information call 305-284-8686 or visit http://www.umconvocationcenter.com.

‘Violet’ the musical plays at UM

The Department of Theatre Arts rolls out the red carpet for Violet, a toe-tapping musical journey of hope and healing. Violet is the story of a severely disfigured young woman who travels by bus across the South in 1964 to be healed by a TV evangelist. This contemporary score is rich with gospel, rock, country and rhythm and blues. Violet runs Nov. 13 through 22. The production will be directed by Michael McElroy, who received a Drama Desk nomination for his performance in the original New York production of Violet. McElroy is working with UM theatre arts majors in his directorial debut.
Be sure to catch Violet from Nov. 13through 22. On Friday, Nov. 14, as part of a special UM Homecoming celebration, which will include fireworks around the lake adjacent to the theatre, the show begins at 9:30 PM. To purchase tickets or for more information call the box office Monday through Friday between 12 and 5 p.m. at 305-284-3355, or log on to www.miami.edu/ring.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...