Big East streak snapped

The University of Miami volleyball team lost its first Big East match of the season falling 3-1 to Connecticut Saturday afternoon in Storrs, Conn.

Miami lost the first two games 30-20 and 31-29 before rallying to take game three 30-25. The Huskies answered right back downing Miami 30-18 in the fourth game.

“We didn’t compete enough today, we didn’t find a way to win every point and every rally like we had to. It was a disappointing loss,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said after the loss. “Jamie Grass and Karla Johnson each really stepped up and played great for us, Jamie on passing and defense and Karla attacking and blocking.”

The Hurricanes posted a season-low .107 hitting percentage in the match.

Senior Leyre Santaella Sante led Miami with 15 kills while sophomore Johnson tallied 14 kills. Red shirt freshman Francheska Savage had 12 kills, junior Elizabeth Tyson had eight, and sophomore Robin Lewullis added six for the Hurricanes.

Junior Mallorey James had a team-high 28 assists, while junior Grass had 25 digs.

The Huskies were led by Jamie Hadenfeldt, who totaled 20 kills in the match. Raftyn Birath added 14 kills and Megan Crawley had 13. Setter Julie Erbez had a team-high 53 assists, while Xaimara Coss led the Huskies with 27 digs. Hadenfeldt contributed 12 digs as well.

The Hurricanes were able to rebound against St. John’s on Sunday afternoon in Jamaica, New York, sweeping the Red Storm 3-0. Each game was close, as the ‘Canes pulled out a 30-24 win to start the match and took the next two games with scores of 30-25 and 30-26.

With the victory, the Hurricanes improve to 17-6 overall, with a 6-1 record in the Big East. The Red Storm fell to 22-7 (4-3) with the loss.

Savage had a big day for the Hurricanes with 17 kills. Santaella Sante was second on the team with 14, and Tyson added 13. James paced the ‘Canes with 53 assists, and Grass finished with 15 digs.

The Red Storm were led by Rosalyn Dang, who totaled 12 kills, setter Robyn Kurasaki, who added 23 assists, and libero Nicole Coaluca, who came up with eight digs in the loss. Dang and Puna Richardson combined for 11 blocks to lead St. John’s.

The Hurricanes return to action on Wednesday night in Boca Raton to take on non-conference opponent Florida Atlantic.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...