Big East streak snapped

The University of Miami volleyball team lost its first Big East match of the season falling 3-1 to Connecticut Saturday afternoon in Storrs, Conn.

Miami lost the first two games 30-20 and 31-29 before rallying to take game three 30-25. The Huskies answered right back downing Miami 30-18 in the fourth game.

“We didn’t compete enough today, we didn’t find a way to win every point and every rally like we had to. It was a disappointing loss,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said after the loss. “Jamie Grass and Karla Johnson each really stepped up and played great for us, Jamie on passing and defense and Karla attacking and blocking.”

The Hurricanes posted a season-low .107 hitting percentage in the match.

Senior Leyre Santaella Sante led Miami with 15 kills while sophomore Johnson tallied 14 kills. Red shirt freshman Francheska Savage had 12 kills, junior Elizabeth Tyson had eight, and sophomore Robin Lewullis added six for the Hurricanes.

Junior Mallorey James had a team-high 28 assists, while junior Grass had 25 digs.

The Huskies were led by Jamie Hadenfeldt, who totaled 20 kills in the match. Raftyn Birath added 14 kills and Megan Crawley had 13. Setter Julie Erbez had a team-high 53 assists, while Xaimara Coss led the Huskies with 27 digs. Hadenfeldt contributed 12 digs as well.

The Hurricanes were able to rebound against St. John’s on Sunday afternoon in Jamaica, New York, sweeping the Red Storm 3-0. Each game was close, as the ‘Canes pulled out a 30-24 win to start the match and took the next two games with scores of 30-25 and 30-26.

With the victory, the Hurricanes improve to 17-6 overall, with a 6-1 record in the Big East. The Red Storm fell to 22-7 (4-3) with the loss.

Savage had a big day for the Hurricanes with 17 kills. Santaella Sante was second on the team with 14, and Tyson added 13. James paced the ‘Canes with 53 assists, and Grass finished with 15 digs.

The Red Storm were led by Rosalyn Dang, who totaled 12 kills, setter Robyn Kurasaki, who added 23 assists, and libero Nicole Coaluca, who came up with eight digs in the loss. Dang and Puna Richardson combined for 11 blocks to lead St. John’s.

The Hurricanes return to action on Wednesday night in Boca Raton to take on non-conference opponent Florida Atlantic.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...