Anti-American sentiment in Iraq, reality or bias?

In the aftermath of the War in Iraq, the media have continually portrayed the democratization of Iraq as a complete failure and never fail to acknowledge the instances in which a suicide bomber ran into a building and three or four American soldiers lay dead from the incident. This must prove that indeed anti-American sentiment in Iraq is growing and, in response, America should consequently remove itself from an instant failure. Negative post-war news has since been plastered on the televisions of millions of Americans, in which an explosion in a school is perpetuated as a week-long crisis while the other 10,000 re-habituated schools are overlooked.

However, the results of the first scientific poll of the Iraqi public, conducted by Zogby International and The American Enterprise magazine, have brought a sound reality to the negative and biased reporting by the mainstream press. By consulting Eastern European pollsters about the best methods for eliciting candid answers from people long conditioned to repressing their true sentiments, researchers made sure the results would accurately reflect the views of Iraq’s diverse people by reflecting a nationally representative sample of Iraqi views. The results seem to contradict the media’s negative statements of a failing democratization program and a growing anti-American sentiment. According to the survey, seven out of ten expect both their country and their personal lives will be better five years from now. After being offered five possibilities- Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Egypt, or the U.S. – and asked to name one country they would most like Iraq to model its new government on, the most popular model was the U.S., preferred by 37 percent of Iraqis, more than Syria, Iran and Egypt combined. Saudi Arabia came in second with 28 percent.

The constant portrayal of a failing democratization program as well as the growth of anti-American sentiment in Iraq is indeed bias and not supported by the true sentiments of the Iraqi people. Whether or not the democratization in Iraq will turn out to indeed be a failure is for future generations to judge. In the meantime those who claim that the alleged failure of this initiative is “undisputable” proof of hatred for the cause of democracy would do well to take a second glance. For more information on statistical figures of the Iraq Poll, go to www.taemag.com.

Nathalia Gillot is a sophomore majoring in political science and psychology. She can be contacted at morena90@aol.com.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...