AEPi national fraternity closes its chapter at UM

The Alpha Epsilon Pi [AEPi] Fraternity’s international board of directors voted to immediately cease active chapter operations of its Lambda Deuteron Chapter at UM, effective Oct. 22.

In taking this action, Alpha Epsilon Pi transferred all undergraduate members to alumni status and placed the chapter’s charter on dormant status, indicative of the international organization’s intent to reorganize the chapter with the concurrence of the University.

The international board of directors took this action against the chapter for violations of fraternity and University policies.

This action was taken by the fraternity with the understanding and cooperation of UM.

“The University of Miami supports the decision by the national board of directors of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity to close its chapter at the University of Miami,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, said. “This decision was a difficult one, but it was made following repeated violations of the organization’s and the University’s policies and procedures.”

According to fraternity officials, when the chapter was alleged to have violated fraternity policies, Executive Vice President Sidney N. Dunn initiated an investigation and reported recommendations for possible responses to the board of directors and UM administrators.

The board determined that ceasing chapter operations for a period of time and reorganizing in the future was the correct response.

According to Dunn, it is the board’s intent to demonstrate the Fraternity’s commitment to ensuring that its members understand and comply with its policies, rules and regulations as well as ensuring the long term goal of remaining a part of the UM community.

“It is certainly my hope that following a period of reflection and reorganization, the Lambda Deuteron chapter of AEPi will be re-colonized in the future and will provide valuable contributions and leadership to our campus community,” Whitely said.

For more information, contact Dean Greg Singleton at 305-284-5353.

The Miami Hurricane will continue to follow the reorganizing efforts of the fraternity as details become available.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at um_newspaper@yahoo.com.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...