AEPi national fraternity closes its chapter at UM

The Alpha Epsilon Pi [AEPi] Fraternity’s international board of directors voted to immediately cease active chapter operations of its Lambda Deuteron Chapter at UM, effective Oct. 22.

In taking this action, Alpha Epsilon Pi transferred all undergraduate members to alumni status and placed the chapter’s charter on dormant status, indicative of the international organization’s intent to reorganize the chapter with the concurrence of the University.

The international board of directors took this action against the chapter for violations of fraternity and University policies.

This action was taken by the fraternity with the understanding and cooperation of UM.

“The University of Miami supports the decision by the national board of directors of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity to close its chapter at the University of Miami,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, said. “This decision was a difficult one, but it was made following repeated violations of the organization’s and the University’s policies and procedures.”

According to fraternity officials, when the chapter was alleged to have violated fraternity policies, Executive Vice President Sidney N. Dunn initiated an investigation and reported recommendations for possible responses to the board of directors and UM administrators.

The board determined that ceasing chapter operations for a period of time and reorganizing in the future was the correct response.

According to Dunn, it is the board’s intent to demonstrate the Fraternity’s commitment to ensuring that its members understand and comply with its policies, rules and regulations as well as ensuring the long term goal of remaining a part of the UM community.

“It is certainly my hope that following a period of reflection and reorganization, the Lambda Deuteron chapter of AEPi will be re-colonized in the future and will provide valuable contributions and leadership to our campus community,” Whitely said.

For more information, contact Dean Greg Singleton at 305-284-5353.

The Miami Hurricane will continue to follow the reorganizing efforts of the fraternity as details become available.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at um_newspaper@yahoo.com.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...