UN Day’s storybook promises a cultural experience

The students, faculty and administration at UM will be witness to a real-life storybook on campus in observation of the Council of International Students and Organizations’ [COISO] UN Day celebration, Oct 22.

In accordance with the national theme of literacy for other UN programs, COISO has chosen to make this year’s UN Day a Cultural Storybook.

But unlike most storybooks, this one will have numerous authors and span the entire world as its setting.

Each of COISO’s 30 organizations will produce one page of Sebastian’s Travels, a storybook tracking the journey of our mascot across the world.

The pages of the storybook will be laid out for all to see, along with a cultural exhibition from many of the University’s cultural organizations.

“Since this is COISO’s first major event of the year, we want to showcase all of the organizations on campus. Hopefully students will find something they are interested in and become more involved in that organization,” Rasha Uthman, UN Day co-chair, said.

President Shalala and Sebastian the Ibis will be on hand for the opening of the event at noon, on the Green in front of Richter Library.

“It’s on the Green this year, which will definitely be a change from having it at the UC,” Aaron Carter, COISO vice president, said.

In years past, UN Day was entirely contained on the UC Patio.

The new site provides both size and accessibility, hopefully allowing more students to participate, said organizers.

Uthman believes that UN Day has something of interest for every UM student and should therefore take its place among the major events of the year.

“From food to clothing to dances to art, UN Day appeals to everyone,” Uthman said. “I want people to stop while they’re walking by the green and take a stroll through the storybook.”

Vivek Patel can be contacted at vivpatel2001@yahoo.com

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...