UN Day’s storybook promises a cultural experience

The students, faculty and administration at UM will be witness to a real-life storybook on campus in observation of the Council of International Students and Organizations’ [COISO] UN Day celebration, Oct 22.

In accordance with the national theme of literacy for other UN programs, COISO has chosen to make this year’s UN Day a Cultural Storybook.

But unlike most storybooks, this one will have numerous authors and span the entire world as its setting.

Each of COISO’s 30 organizations will produce one page of Sebastian’s Travels, a storybook tracking the journey of our mascot across the world.

The pages of the storybook will be laid out for all to see, along with a cultural exhibition from many of the University’s cultural organizations.

“Since this is COISO’s first major event of the year, we want to showcase all of the organizations on campus. Hopefully students will find something they are interested in and become more involved in that organization,” Rasha Uthman, UN Day co-chair, said.

President Shalala and Sebastian the Ibis will be on hand for the opening of the event at noon, on the Green in front of Richter Library.

“It’s on the Green this year, which will definitely be a change from having it at the UC,” Aaron Carter, COISO vice president, said.

In years past, UN Day was entirely contained on the UC Patio.

The new site provides both size and accessibility, hopefully allowing more students to participate, said organizers.

Uthman believes that UN Day has something of interest for every UM student and should therefore take its place among the major events of the year.

“From food to clothing to dances to art, UN Day appeals to everyone,” Uthman said. “I want people to stop while they’re walking by the green and take a stroll through the storybook.”

Vivek Patel can be contacted at vivpatel2001@yahoo.com

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...