UN Day’s storybook promises a cultural experience

The students, faculty and administration at UM will be witness to a real-life storybook on campus in observation of the Council of International Students and Organizations’ [COISO] UN Day celebration, Oct 22.

In accordance with the national theme of literacy for other UN programs, COISO has chosen to make this year’s UN Day a Cultural Storybook.

But unlike most storybooks, this one will have numerous authors and span the entire world as its setting.

Each of COISO’s 30 organizations will produce one page of Sebastian’s Travels, a storybook tracking the journey of our mascot across the world.

The pages of the storybook will be laid out for all to see, along with a cultural exhibition from many of the University’s cultural organizations.

“Since this is COISO’s first major event of the year, we want to showcase all of the organizations on campus. Hopefully students will find something they are interested in and become more involved in that organization,” Rasha Uthman, UN Day co-chair, said.

President Shalala and Sebastian the Ibis will be on hand for the opening of the event at noon, on the Green in front of Richter Library.

“It’s on the Green this year, which will definitely be a change from having it at the UC,” Aaron Carter, COISO vice president, said.

In years past, UN Day was entirely contained on the UC Patio.

The new site provides both size and accessibility, hopefully allowing more students to participate, said organizers.

Uthman believes that UN Day has something of interest for every UM student and should therefore take its place among the major events of the year.

“From food to clothing to dances to art, UN Day appeals to everyone,” Uthman said. “I want people to stop while they’re walking by the green and take a stroll through the storybook.”

Vivek Patel can be contacted at vivpatel2001@yahoo.com

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...