SPORTS BRIEFS

Men’s cross country
University of Miami junior Alex Brutvan finished second in a time of 26:04 to lead the Hurricanes’ men’s cross country team to a second-place finish at the 2003 Hatter Invitational in DeLand, FL.
Miami, which is ranked 12th in the South Region by the United States Cross Country Coaches Association, finished with 56 points. The University of Central Florida edged out the Hurricanes with 50 points.
Brutvan has been the Hurricanes’ top finisher at every event this season including a victory at the FIU Invitational. He has finished among the top-seven runners in four of five races this season.
Also running well for the Hurricanes was Tom Berry who continued his impressive freshman campaign taking fourth in a time of 26.45. Berry has three top-five finishes this season and has been Miami’s second best finisher at every meet.
The Hatter Invitational is the final tune-up for the Hurricanes before the Big East Cross Country Championships, October 31 in Van Cortland Park, NY.

Women’s cross country
University of Miami junior Marilyn Ruiz finished third in a time of 19:13 to lead the UM women’s cross country team to a victory at the Hatter Cross Country Classic in DeLand, FL.
Miami, which had recorded two second-place finishes in the season’s first three events, registered 50 points in recording its first victory of the season. The University of Central Florida took second with 55 points.
The Hurricanes had three runners finish in the top-6 including freshman Lindsay Rohrs, who placed fourth with a time of 19:14, and sophomore Melanie Schultz, who was sixth in a time of 19:18.
Miami returns to action on October 31 at the Big East Cross Country Championships in Van Cortland Park, NY.
Women’s Tennis
The University of Miami women’s tennis team won five-of-six singles matches in day two at the 2003 ITA Southern Regional Championships hosted by the University of Georgia in Athens, Ga.
No. 34 Megan Bradley the No. 1 seeded player in the A singles bracket defeated Sarah Suitor of Auburn in straight sets 6-3, 6-0. She improves to 9-1 on the fall season.
Mari Toro seeded No. 11 in the A bracket beat Nancy Peaden of Auburn 6-4, 6-1 in the second round.
Staci Stevens defeated Natalie Frazier of Georgia 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Newcomer Audrey Banada seeded No. 3 in the B bracket beat Nisrine Hajbane of Jacksonville 6-1, 6-1.
Sara Robbins beat Martina Janska of Auburn 6-2, 6-0 in the A consolation bracket.
Natalie Mikolich fell to Robin Stephenson of Alabama 6-2, 6-0.

Men’s Tennis
The Miami men’s tennis team wrapped up play at the 2003 ITA South Regional Championships co-hosted by the University of Memphis and the Racquet Club of Memphis.
Josh Cohen and Eric Hechtman teamed up to beat Michael Green and Joseph Jung of Alabama 9-7 in doubles play.
The duo fell to No. 5 Bo Hodge and John Isner of Georgia 8-3 in the round of 16.
No. 99 Cohen fell to No. 2 Hodge of Georgia 6-4, 6-3 in singles action.
John Hoyes II was defeated by Lee Walker of Memphis 6-4, 6-3 in singles play.
Tim Krebs and Colin Purcell fell to Miha Lisac and Jaime Rodriguez of Georgia State 8-6. The men’s tennis team will open the spring season hosting SMU Jan. 25 at Noon in Coral Gables, Fla.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...