SPORTS BRIEFS

Men’s cross country
University of Miami junior Alex Brutvan finished second in a time of 26:04 to lead the Hurricanes’ men’s cross country team to a second-place finish at the 2003 Hatter Invitational in DeLand, FL.
Miami, which is ranked 12th in the South Region by the United States Cross Country Coaches Association, finished with 56 points. The University of Central Florida edged out the Hurricanes with 50 points.
Brutvan has been the Hurricanes’ top finisher at every event this season including a victory at the FIU Invitational. He has finished among the top-seven runners in four of five races this season.
Also running well for the Hurricanes was Tom Berry who continued his impressive freshman campaign taking fourth in a time of 26.45. Berry has three top-five finishes this season and has been Miami’s second best finisher at every meet.
The Hatter Invitational is the final tune-up for the Hurricanes before the Big East Cross Country Championships, October 31 in Van Cortland Park, NY.

Women’s cross country
University of Miami junior Marilyn Ruiz finished third in a time of 19:13 to lead the UM women’s cross country team to a victory at the Hatter Cross Country Classic in DeLand, FL.
Miami, which had recorded two second-place finishes in the season’s first three events, registered 50 points in recording its first victory of the season. The University of Central Florida took second with 55 points.
The Hurricanes had three runners finish in the top-6 including freshman Lindsay Rohrs, who placed fourth with a time of 19:14, and sophomore Melanie Schultz, who was sixth in a time of 19:18.
Miami returns to action on October 31 at the Big East Cross Country Championships in Van Cortland Park, NY.
Women’s Tennis
The University of Miami women’s tennis team won five-of-six singles matches in day two at the 2003 ITA Southern Regional Championships hosted by the University of Georgia in Athens, Ga.
No. 34 Megan Bradley the No. 1 seeded player in the A singles bracket defeated Sarah Suitor of Auburn in straight sets 6-3, 6-0. She improves to 9-1 on the fall season.
Mari Toro seeded No. 11 in the A bracket beat Nancy Peaden of Auburn 6-4, 6-1 in the second round.
Staci Stevens defeated Natalie Frazier of Georgia 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Newcomer Audrey Banada seeded No. 3 in the B bracket beat Nisrine Hajbane of Jacksonville 6-1, 6-1.
Sara Robbins beat Martina Janska of Auburn 6-2, 6-0 in the A consolation bracket.
Natalie Mikolich fell to Robin Stephenson of Alabama 6-2, 6-0.

Men’s Tennis
The Miami men’s tennis team wrapped up play at the 2003 ITA South Regional Championships co-hosted by the University of Memphis and the Racquet Club of Memphis.
Josh Cohen and Eric Hechtman teamed up to beat Michael Green and Joseph Jung of Alabama 9-7 in doubles play.
The duo fell to No. 5 Bo Hodge and John Isner of Georgia 8-3 in the round of 16.
No. 99 Cohen fell to No. 2 Hodge of Georgia 6-4, 6-3 in singles action.
John Hoyes II was defeated by Lee Walker of Memphis 6-4, 6-3 in singles play.
Tim Krebs and Colin Purcell fell to Miha Lisac and Jaime Rodriguez of Georgia State 8-6. The men’s tennis team will open the spring season hosting SMU Jan. 25 at Noon in Coral Gables, Fla.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...