REPORT CARD

Offense: This was probably the most balanced game that the offense has played this season, gaining 342 yards on the ground and 259 yards passing. The unit must cut down on penalties if they want to beat Virginia Tech in a couple of weeks, however.
Grade: A-

Quarterback: Brock Berlin had his most consistent effort of the season, throwing for two touchdowns and no interceptions. He made much better decisions against Temple than in any other game this year. Derrick Crudup performed well in second-half duty.
Grade: A

Running Backs: The Hurricane running backs combined for a season-high 342 yards rushing, with Jarrett Payton gaining 115, Tyrone Moss picking up 135, and Geathers adding 17. The backs scored four touchdowns while exhausting the Owls’ defense.
Grade: A

Wide Receivers: Berlin and Crudup connected with nine different receivers, with Ryan Moore leading the group with four receptions for 45 yards. Kellen Winslow added four catches for 43 yards. It was nice to see Kyle Cobia, Darnell Jenkins, Kevin Everett, and Devin Hester get catches in the second half.
Grade: B+

Offensive Line: The line did a great job opening up holes for the running backs, and they only allowed one sack in the entire game. There were too many holding penalties, however, which could be very costly against a team like Virginia Tech.
Grade: B+

Defense: The defense gave up an early scoring drive and a 69-yard rushing touchdown, but the unit held up strong throughout the rest of the game. They held the nation’s leading passing attack to 21 yards passing, and allowed only 150 yards on the ground despite giving up the long run in the first half.
Grade: B+

Defensive Line: Giving up a 69-yard run to Jamil Porter is inexcusable, and the opening drive exposed some weaknesses in the d-line, but if they only allow 14 points against Virginia Tech, they should have a good chance to win the game. They forced Temple to punt eight times, allowing the offense to control the ball.
Grade: B+

Linebackers: Jon Vilma had a good game with a fumble recovery and eight tackles. D.J. Williams broke up a pair of passes, and Darrell McClover was solid.
Grade: B+

Secondary: The secondary did a nice job compensating for Sean Taylor’s injury, holding the No. 1 passing offense in the nation to 21 yards passing. The unit didn’t make any interceptions, but that was because the Owls never threw the ball downfield.
Grade: B+

Special Teams: Jon Peattie hit one of two field goals, and Brian Monroe did a much better job on kickoffs than in the Florida State game. The key play in the game was the fake punt in the third quarter, which gave the ‘Canes a 31-14 lead that they never relinquished.
Grade: A

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...