Culture

MAINLINES, BLOOD FEASTS, AND BAD TASTE

Life & Art Editor

There’s nothing pettier than journalists reviewing journalists and, if you count the intro to Mainlines by John Morthland, a writer for the Texas Monthly, let’s go ahead and add another “reviewing journalists.” The media’s pretty important, huh? The media is pretty self-important, huh? If you don’t think so or want confirmation, swing by Gawker.com or try hanging out with Omar or me for two minutes (change the “or” to an “and” and slice it by one layer of thick Kleenex), or take a commercial-break and focus on Aaron Brown’s smarmy smirk.

Fucking rock ‘n’ roll man. First, you’re driving drunk with friends in high school in old Camaros and Firebirds, laughing, fighting forgotten shadows in college towns as you stumble out of rock dives, then you hear the Sex Pistols, then you read Lester Bangs and realize that, wait, this icon was bitching about today’s rock being lesser than yesterday’s – and nothing is hard enough except for muscle metal – and that’s not what you mean by hard anyway, scoffing at the radio and even rock videos,like clich

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...