L&A BAD SMACK: Howell Raines to get job at UM? Texas Abercrombie Massacre is #1. Tennis Lessons. And, Greek Gozzip, of course!

Life & Art Editor-at-Large

??????????????????? OOOH, THAT SMELL ??????????????????????????????

It smells like gasoline. Oh, it’s just that Abercrombie remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which shredded through $29 plus million over the weekend. So, this means that horror-without-irony is back, replacing that whole Scream-horror-with-irony teen-studio-revolution of a few years ago. So, prepare for a dozen more Freddies and Jasons and, please no, Halloweens. No matter how much the world changes, it seems like these franchises are the roaches of Hollywood. They’ll outlive us all. UM-TV’s Andrew Unterman recently quoted some kid as saying that the new TTCM is the Nothing But Trouble of TTCMs. And that about says it all.

?????????????????? OOOH, THAT BLAIR ???????????????????????????????

So, word is Howell Raines is being offered a job here. So, if somebody fires Omar for screwing up for not spell-checking “Lake Eerie,” his new book will become a sensation, be it a lot indie-r, and thus, he can speak here too about everything-but for an undisclosed sum of money? Sweet. I’ll tell him. And I’ll tell Sven (“Sally May”) and my self (“Tony Sparks”). Sweet. News is going to be rich, wait until they hear. Sweet.

?????????????? OOOH, THAT PASTIME, WE MEAN, JOB ??????????????????

So, if Omar and I pick up tennis and start bringing rackets to the office and requesting, “A Bloody Mary, a steak sandwich…and a steak sandwich,” no staff member will care? Sweet. We’ll do that and collect our $16,000. But the tennis matches have to be no-contact okay – for insurance purposes, c’mon.

??????????????? OOOH, THAT GREEK GOZZIP ?????????????????????????

Yep, so let’s let this wave of growing readership continue, shall we? We really can’t believe how popular a dumb headline can make an article. We love you Greeks. Keep the gozzip flowing like O’Doul’s and keep reading our Web site and hopefully O’Doul’s will start advertising and Hurley and Nike. Just do it. O triangle X.

?????????????????? OOOH, THAT IGGY POP ????????????????????????????

Wanna be in a (non-rap) video? Well Miami resident and Stooges front man, Iggy Pop, is performing a number with, wait, uh, SUM 41, at Churchill’s Pub, 5501 NE 2nd Ave, on Wednesday – that’s tomorrow or you already missed it. If you’re 21, go get all wild and famous and be in a crazy rock video – but please rep the city like yr Scottish. For more info, call 305.757.1807 Ext 1#. Iggy’s the man.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...