The RIAA would rather sue you than look at you

Thank goodness for the Recording Industry Association of America! Through their very unselfish campaign against file sharing, they are tracking down the biggest threats to artists everywhere, like the 66-year-old woman from Boston who the RIAA recently sued for illegally downloading and trading over two thousand songs through Kazaa. She must be an insanely crafty criminal for she managed to do all this in spite of the fact her sole computer is a Macintosh, which does not support Kazaa.

Maybe she didn’t steal any songs at all, as the RIAA was later forced to admit when faced with the overwhelming evidence presented by her lawyer. As the RIAA tries to take all those guilty of file sharing to court, it is finding that many people aren’t as sympathetic to the plight of those who are getting robbed of royalties from the illegal distribution of their songs over the internet. The RIAA’s strategy for prosecuting those guilty of file sharing is to violate everyone else’s privacy. The easiest way to find out who is sharing files is to ask Internet service providers, such as SBC, to monitor their customers’ activities while online and then report to the RIAA if anyone is downloading something they should not be. Many ISPs still remember this crazy concept called privacy that we all seem to enjoy so much, but this number is getting smaller each day as more succumb to subpoenas brought by the RIAA. Moreover, the very nature of the software used for file sharing has the potentiality to allow the particularly computer savvy to share music undetected by making it appear to third parties that someone else is sharing the music. The result is that the RIAA can only really go after those who either download insignificant amounts of music or don’t share at all.

What I find the most disturbing is that the RIAA has been allowed to get this far. There are significant disadvantages to file sharing, such as long download times and poor quality recordings, which the recording industry could capitalize on to make services that can make file sharing into a new source of income instead of crime. As opposed to acknowledging that people aren’t willing to spend upwards of $17 on a CD anymore, the RIAA is simply trying to sue its problems away.

Elaine Ayo can be contacted at eayo@umsis.miami.edu.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...