How to get YOUR name on the NRA “Blacklist”

1) Visit www.nrablacklist.com.
2) Under the parade of smiling faces, click where it tells you to “join this honor roll by signing the petition.”
3) Enter your name, email address, and zip code; click “Stop The NRA!”
Congratulations! You have now joined the ranks of Jerry Seinfeld, CBS, and Maya Angelou in a list that the National Rifle Association compiled earlier this summer of people and organizations that have “officially endorsed anti-gun positions.”
The NRA says they made the list to satisfy members’ desires to know which people and groups were supporting their treasured Second Amendment rights, and who was a moving target.
No, they didn’t say that, but they did say that the way members (or anyone with an internet connection) “use the information is at their own discretion.”
See the ensemble of un-friendlies for yourself at the NRA-ILA website: http://www.nraila.com/ FactSheets.asp? FormMode= Detail&ID=15. The Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the congressman-piercing ammunition of the NRA.
The petition effort designed to create awareness of the blacklist you’ve just joined is part of the movement to stoptheNRA.com, “designed to oppose everything the NRA stands for.” They work with the Brady Campaign and the Million Mom March to prevent gun violence. Moreover, they believe that the NRA is “out of control!”
StoptheNRA.com asserts that the NRA has two clear intentions during the 2004 election season. The first is to prevent renewal of the Assault Weapons Ban signed by Bill Clinton in 1994 (S.1034, 1431 and H.R. 2038). The NRA claims that the bill is not simply a reauthorization of the 1994 bill but that “it bans millions more guns and begins backdoor registration of guns.” The new bill has no 10-year sunset provision; the bans will be permanent.
The second intention is the enactment of the Immunity Bill (S.659), which “would give gunmakers and dealers sweeping immunity from civil law suits.” It’s lovingly called the “Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.” StoptheNRA.com wants 10,000 signatures on their petition before they go to Congress.
Are you concerned about the “lobbying power” of a group of armed militiamen? The NRA website claims that in the 2002 election cycle it “endorsed thousands of candidates running in state legislative races and achieved an 85% success rate in those elections,” spending over ten million dollars. Did you know that the NRA ranks political candidates on their voting records, public statements, and responses to an NRA-developed questionnaire? They said the incredible themselves when they admitted that they had achieved the “election of pro-gun majorities in both the U.S. House and Senate” in 2002.
If you’re for what the NRA’s pushing, then visit www.nrahq.org (up pops Heston’s ancient face-be careful, he’s got a gun!) and contribute; otherwise, it’s worth your time to check out the blacklist.

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...