Campus theft can be prevented by locking up

Safety Tip of the Week:
Yes, you can help stop the most frequent type of crime on campus.
First, you need to know that the biggest crime problem on campus is the theft of unattended and/or unsecured property.
Unbelievably, theft of small personal property that is left unattended, in unlocked rooms or offices or placed in unlocked lockers accounts for between 50 and 80 percent of all crime on campus from month to month. This is your biggest crime vulnerability on campus.
You have exposed yourself to this if you have:
Left a wallet on your tray at the cafeteria while you get something,
Walked away from your backpack while you order food at the Food Court,
Left your laptop computer on a desk at the library while you take a study break (thieves don’t care about shutdown and storage – they grab and go!),
Gone to sleep with your door unlocked,
Left your door unlocked when you took a shower, went to class or any other time,
Didn’t lock your car when you park (how much was that parking permit again?).
The police do not know the guy walking down the street is carrying your backpack; he just looks like any other person with a backpack. Therefore, you can avoid becoming a victim by removing the opportunity for a thief to get your property. Remember, lock it or lose it!

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 8

10:50 a.m. 6200 San Amaro Dr.
Attempted Abduction
3:32 p.m. 1101 Stanford Dr.
Theft
4:19 p.m. 1111 Memorial Dr.
Vehicle Theft
8:26 p.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr.
Grand Theft

THURSDAY OCTOBER 9

3:54 a.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr.
Arson
8:36 p.m. 1320 Campo Sano Ave.
Grand Theft

SATURDAY OCTOBER 11

8:57 a.m. 5501 San Amaro Dr.
Petit Theft

SUNDAY OCTOBER 12

5:50 p.m. 5500 San Amaro Dr.
Strong Arm Robbery

MONDAY OCTOBER 13

1:00 a.m. 5185 Ponce de Leon
Battery
7:45 p.m. 1252 Memorial Dr.
Petit Theft

TUESDAY OCTOBER 14

2:06 p.m. 5638 Merrick Dr.
Criminal Mischief
10:13 p.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr.
Burglary

The Hurricane is currently working to improve Police Beat by working with Coral Gables Police Department.
For more information on crimes and crime prevention, contact Public Safety at 284-6666.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...