REPORT CARD Miami vs. Florida State

Offense: The offense made some questionable turnovers, but was able to move the ball well on certain drives. The unit still needs to improve in the red zone if the ‘Canes want to remain undefeated.
Grade: C+

Quarterback: Despite the win, Brock Berlin still has a world of work to do. His three interceptions could have been costly if the defense didn’t keep bailing him out. The positives for Berlin were that he didn’t fumble any snaps, continued to spread the ball around the field (six different receivers had at least one catch), and engineered a nice scoring drive in the second quarter.
Grade: C

Running Back: Jarrett Payton had his finest game as a Hurricane, gaining 97 yards on 26 carries. He was a valuable weapon out of the backfield, hauling in a 14-yard touchdown catch, the ‘Canes’ only offensive touchdown. His fumble in the second quarter was his only mistake. Quad Hill had two catches as well.
Grade: B+

Wide Receivers: Kellen Winslow had another great effort, with seven catches for 106 yards. He did have a costly fumble, however, and Ryan Moore was limited to one catch. Roscoe Parrish had two catches before getting injured from a viscous hit in the second quarter.
Grade: C

Offensive Line: A makeshift offensive line that is still coming together had its best performance against the Seminoles, opening up holes for Payton all game and protecting Berlin from harm. Berlin was never sacked and rarely hurried.
Grade: A-
Defense: The entire unit came together in a crucial game and helped the Hurricanes overcome an inconsistent offense to shock their rivals.
Grade: A

Defensive Line: Chris Rix was never able to get comfortable, and the credit for that must go to the d-line. Thomas Carroll had a breakthrough game with a sack, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery, and was constantly in Rix’s face. Baraka Atkins, Vince Wilfork, and Orien Harris all had phenomenal games.
Grade: A+

Linebackers: Seminole running back Greg Jones gained only 15 yards on 13 carries, and when an elite tailback has such poor numbers it means the linebackers must have had a great game. Jon Vilma, D.J. Williams, and Darrell McClover were all outstanding.
Grade: A

Secondary: With two interceptions and a touchdown, Sean Taylor deserves to be considered one of the best players in the nation and a shoo-in for the Thorpe Award. He could have easily had five picks. Greg Threat did a tremendous job filling in for the injured Maurice Sikes. There were a couple of big plays made by Florida State receivers, however.
Grade: A-

Special Teams: Jon Peattie hit three out of four field goals, but missed a 22-yarder, which is inexcusable no matter what the weather is. The kickoffs and punting of Brian Monroe need plenty of work, as Mark Gent replaced him on kickoff duty in the second half. Jarrell Weaver’s punt block set up the Hurricanes’ first field goal.
Grade: B-

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...