‘Noises Off’ play opens to full house at Ring Theatre

The Jerry Herman Ring Theatre opened its 65th season as UM’s most prominent playhouse with a sold-out production of Noises Off on Oct. 9. The play will continue to run until Oct. 18.

Noises Off was written by British playwright Michael Frayn in 1982. The play is a slapstick comedy about the frenetic on- and off-stage high jinks of a second-rate British touring company. The story follows the acting troupe’s progress from dress rehearsal to a ruinous closing night performance of a mediocre sex comedy, Noises On.

Noises Off earned Frayn his third Evening Standard Theater Award for “Best Comedy of the Year” for the play. The show first opened on Broadway in 1983 and was nominated for four Tony Awards. The revival production of the play opened on Broadway in 2001 with a cast that included Peter Gallagher, Faith Price, stage legend Patti Lupone and Katie Finneran, who won the 2002 Tony for “Best Featured Actress in a Play.”

Musical theater major Corrine Palermo plays the dim-witted actress Brooke Ahston. Palermo says that she enjoys playing Brooke because she is able to take on the role of someone who is completely different from her.

“She’s a major airhead and thinks she’s a great actress even though she’s had no theater training,” Palermo said.

Ariana Shore, senior, plays the role of the faded leading lady Dotty Otley; Paul Haasch, senior, plays the womanizing director, Lloyd Dallas; Brian Blattman, senior, plays the aging actor, Frederick Fellows; and Dan Weisberg, senior, plays the alcoholic actor, Selsdon Mowbray.

Other cast members include Douglas Ghizzoni as Garry Lejeune, Lauren Potter as Poppy Norton-Taylor, Maura Hannigan as Belinda Blair and Randall Pollard as Tim Allgood.

“The cast is amazing,” Palmero said. “It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience to be working with these people in such an unbelievably well-written comedy.”

Many UM students who were unable to make last week’s performance are looking forward to tonight’s free show, thanks to the Ring’s “Totally Free Tuesdays” program.

“I’ve heard that Noises Off is a really funny play, and when you add that it’s free, it’s an even better deal,” Carlos Sanchez, junior, said.

“Totally Free Tuesdays” was initiated last year and, according to organizers, met with so much success that the theater decided to continue the program for another year.

Similar “Totally Free Tuesdays” will be offered for other plays throughout the school year.

“My friend saw a production of Noises Off somewhere else and she told me that it was really funny,” said junior Ilana Nathan. “I’m going to try and see the free performance today.”

Students must present a valid UM ID to view the free performance tonight. For exact show times, contact The Ring Theatre.

Horacio Sierra can be contacted at h.sierra@umiami.edu.

ALL ABOUT ‘NOISES OFF’
Synopsis

The play is a slapstick comedy about the frenetic on- and off-stage high jinks of a second-rate British touring company. The story follows the acting troupe’s progress from dress rehearsal to a ruinous closing night performance of a mediocre sex comedy, Noises On.

Performance Dates

Oct. 15- 18 at 8 p.m.
Students $6 – General $14 – weeknights, matinees
$8 – General $16 – weekend performances

The box office is open noon to 5 p.m. on weekdays and two hours before each performance.
For more information on the Ring Theatre, visit www.miami.edu/ring. To order tickets, call 305-284-3355. The Ring Theatre is located at 1312 Miller Dr.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...