NEWS BRIEFS

Festival Miami music continues

Festival Miami 20th Anniversary Season celebration is going strong with 12 concerts remaining through Oct. 25. Week four presents a phenomenal roster of performances with a wide appeal, from winds to strings and families to fusion.

On Oct. 13, the UM Wind Ensemble will be conducted by Gary Green, in a world premiere performance of Thomas Sleeper’s Concerto for Trumpet and Wind Ensemble. Also to be performed is Michael Daugherty’s Rosa Parks Boulevard and Andrew Rindfleisch’s The Light Fantastic. Ticket prices are $15 for adults and $8 for students.

On Oct.14, the Amernet String Quartet makes their Miami debut. This brilliant quartet, winner of the Gold Prize at the International String Competition of Tokyo, performs Mozart’s Quartet in C major, the Brahms Quartet in C minor, and the Giannini Piano Quintet with Paul Posnak, piano. Ticket prices are $15 for adults and $8 for students.

On Oct. 16 at 8 p.m., enjoy an evening of Klezmer Kraziness. The Klezmer Conservatory Band, America’s foremost Klezmer and Yiddish repertory ensemble, performs favorite Klezmer classics along with exciting original compositions. This wild and crazy bunch from Boston will have you singing, clapping, stepping and dancing through the aisles, carried by their whirling melodies. Presented in collaboration with the Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies. Tickets are $20 for adults; $10 for students.

On Oct. 17, legendary Afro-Cuban pianist Zenaida Manfugas makes a return engagement to Festival Miami, joining forces with fellow pianist and EMI recording artist Mauricio Vallina for an evening of danza y romance. This concert is presented in collaboration with the UM Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies. Ticket prices are $20 for adults and $10 for students.

Oct. 19 highlights one of today’s most important figures in Cuban jazz as Grammy award-winning pianist Gonzalo Rubalcaba weaves strands of Cuban and American jazz. Born in Havana, Cuba, his musical heritage continually influences his rhythmic, exciting creations, transforming life’s daily routines into something more beautiful and significant.

All Festival Miami events are held in the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall on UM’s Coral Gables campus unless otherwise noted. Tickets may be purchased directly from Festival Miami or through Ticketmaster. To order tickets or to obtain a complete schedule of events, visit the festival’s website at www.music.miami.edu or call 305-284-4940.

Jeb Bush recognizes UM student’s song written about September 11

Jennifer Rainee, a freshman at UM, wrote the song “Tomorrow’s Light” the day after the crashes on 9/11. She was sixteen at the time and filled with emotions she tried to put into words. The summer before she began college, she produced the song with Ricky Hitchcock and mailed it out to many people in the music industry. One specific person was Governor Jeb Bush. He responded with a letter thanking her for the song and encouraging her to share her song with everyone.

Crew team will clean your house

The men’s crew team is raising money by doing your chores! For $15 per person per hour on a Saturday or Sunday of your choice, a rower will do any house or yard work. Money raised goes toward travel expenses so the team can compete in national regattas such as the South Eastern Championships and the Dad Vail National Championships. For more information, contact Wes Geyer at 305-761-6343 or 305-689-3838.

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...