Ordering housekeeping for dorms- you’re that lazy?

One day while walking in my ideal world, I saw an advertisement for dorm room cleaning. I was appalled by the company that posted the sign, but even more appalled by the thought that some students might actually consider paying for this service.

It is one thing to have housekeeping for your two-floor, three-bedroom house, but house keeping (or room keeping in this instance) for your dorm room that is about the size of a walk-in closet seems questionable.

I can understand hiring someone to do your laundry-after all, how many of us really want to do laundry? But hiring someone to clean your dorm room is simply unacceptable (although I have seen some rooms that have looked as though a hurricane hit them-twice). Unless you have a tower-sized landfill in your room, why bother. At that point, anyway, someone should call the health department.

However, when I step outside my ideal world, I step into the real world of laziness and more laziness. Some students have trouble putting their trays on the conveyor belt at the cafeteria, or some students miss the garbage can by two inches, and others pile up garbage in the outside ash trays-so what would make me think they’d want to clean their own room?

The blame should not be placed entirely on this generation. It seems that each day something new is invented just so we can become more helpless, especially when it comes to cleaning. There is even a new machine that you can place on the floor and it will find and clean up dirt for you. I am further appalled when I see that cooking has evolved into a microwave art that promises quick results and bad taste. We thrive on the convenience these new products bring without thinking twice about our growing reliance on technology.

Our growing need to make ourselves lazier only causes businesses to capitalize on our growing pathetic nature. I guess next time I should be more clever in the future and capitalize from other people’s laziness.

Marquita Bell is a junior majoring in print journalism and creative writing. She can be reached at m_bell01@hotmail.com.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...