NEWS BRIEFS

Alan Fish promoted to Business VP
UM has promoted Alan Fish to Vice President for Business Services. As the University’s chief business operations officer, Fish is responsible for 18 business and auxiliary operations, with budgets in excess of $40 million and revenues in excess of $20 million. In addition to reviewing contracts from all parts of the institution, Fish has successfully negotiated contracts, developed standard form agreements and improved the contracting discipline of the University. His duties include leading the University in Disaster Planning and Business Continuity and co-chairing the University Contracts and Compliance Committee. Fish also serves on the Patent and Copyright Committee, Campus Climate and numerous Continuous Improvement teams. He received his MBA from the University of Miami and his bachelor’s degree from Rochester Institute of Technology. In addition, Fish completed the management development program at Harvard in 1986.

‘Connected’ organic art on display at Lowe Friends of Art Gallery
A Ceramic Continuum: Fifty Years of the Archie Bray Influence, is currently on exhibition at the Lowe Art Museum through Nov. 9. It highlights Connected, a commissioned, site-specific installation by Rebecca Hutchinson. The former Archie Bray fellow will transform the Lowe’s Friends of Art Gallery with one of her signature works, which makes use of organic materials and addresses interest in the totality of ecosystem function and diverse components within ecosystems that provide collaborative, parasitic and symbiotic relationships.

Men’s crew team to clean their way to national championships
The men’s crew team is raising money by doing your chores! For $15 per person per hour on a Saturday or Sunday of your choice, a rower will do any house or yard work. Money raised goes toward travel expenses so the team can compete in national regattas such as the South Eastern Championships and the Dad Vail National Championships. For more information, contact Wes Geyer at 305-761-6343 or 305-689-3838.

Collaboration challenges Florida teams to create best short film
The Entertainment Industry Incubator, a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of Florida-based entertainment, has announced the launch of its sixth annual guerrilla filmmaking challenge, Collaboration: A Short Film Contest. Filmmakers from around the state will assemble in teams of six to script, shoot and edit a film based on an assigned theme. On Nov. 7, all team members will receive the theme and have 30 days to complete the five-minute film. Participants must be Florida residents and may register individually or as a team. The entry fee is $85 per person and includes admission to the black-tie Premiere Gala on Jan. 31 in Miami. At this event, the top 20 films will be shown to an audience of more than 500 industry professionals and their supporters. Senior-level executives from production companies including Universal Studios, Miramax, and HBO will judge the finalists. First place winners of the novice and professional categories will share more than $50,000 worth of production services from the Universal Studios Florida Production Group, as well as a host of other prizes donated by entertainment industry leaders. For more information visit www.eincubator.org or contact Meagan Pava at 305-672-9297.

‘African Sanctus’ plays at festival
Festival Miami 2003 presents the performance of African Sanctus on Oct. 10 and 11 at 8 p.m. in the Gusman Concert Hall. This special engagement is part of the University of Miami’s Festival Miami 20th Anniversary Celebration. African Sanctus is a fascinating blend of the Latin Mass with authentic traditional African music, collected by composer and ethnomusicologist David Fanshawe on his legendary journey up the Nile. This performance is a feast for the ears and eyes and includes stunning visuals and the accompaniment of Ghanaian master drummer Sowah Mensah, heralded soprano Marvis Martin, the Miami Children’s Chorus and the UM Chorale. This special, two-night engagement has been made possible with the support of AT&T. Ticket prices are $20 for adults and $10 for students and are available from Ticketmaster or by calling 305-284-4940.

Titanic goes hip hop on Tuesdays
Are your Tuesday nights a little dull? If so, stop by Titanic for Hip Hop night featuring DJ Boe 63rd and guest DJ Kurt J. Random spinning from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., with open mic from 11:30 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...