IS THIS IT?

Students brace for UM/FSU nail-biter.
Category 5 plans to take students up to Tallahassee

Walking through campus, one may feel the tension in the air as the threat of defeat on everyone’s mind gets closer with this weekend’s football game against arch-rival Florida State University [FSU] approaching.

The ‘Canes season has been exciting thus far, with some close calls and surprise endings, which makes the normally hyped FSU game all the more highly anticipated.

“I’m from Florida, so I’d heard about the FSU/UM rivalry all my life,” Kari Hiers, freshman, said. “But I’m not going to the game. I can’t handle that kind of stress on my nerves.”

Since both teams are from Florida, the players from different teams often know each other and have personal rivalries to motivate them, making this game’s stakes higher for some players than any other.

A combined 33 players from Miami and Florida State attended high school together, six schools of which are located in the Dade/Broward area.

With officials expecting FSU’s Doak Campbell Stadium to completely fill its 82,300 seats, some students are worried about security for the game.

Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, assures students that their safety and comfort is ensured for the game.

“A number of students will be traveling with the University or on their own. Regardless, the same policies and procedures apply to behavior at FSU that would apply to the Orange Bowl,” Whitely said. “We hope many students make the trip to FSU to cheer on the ‘Canes. They definitely deserve our support.”

Student Affairs and Category 5, the Student Government spirit programming committee that works to improve campus spirit and attendance at athletic events, are transporting a group of UM students to the game this year.

The package includes three days/two nights hotel, bus ride to and from Tallahassee, a game ticket and a T-shirt.

“The Category 5 trip is a really good deal. It’s cheaper than I could have done it with my friends, and less hassle,” Pete Jacobs, junior, said. “I’ve never been to an away game. It’s going to be a different experience.”

Some students are disappointed that such an important and exciting game will be held at FSU this year. The FSU/UM generally alternates stadiums each year and was played at the Orange Bowl last year.

“I’m disappointed that I can’t go,” Kris Smith said. “But I’m gonna watch the ‘Canes faithfully on TV.”

Faith in the ‘Canes is what many students say they want to show in the stands during this game especially.

“UM students need to have faith in our team and support them through the last minutes of the fourth quarter,” Jennifer McGrath, junior, said.

“No one should leave the game early when we’re down or boo when one of our players makes a mistake,” Danielah Gautier said. “We’re a fourth quarter team this year, but we’re still undefeated!”

Even faculty members understand the need to show support for the ‘Canes this year.

“This is a crucial game for sure,” Whitely said. “Four staff members from our Student Affairs office will make the Student Government trip.”

Kick-off is scheduled for tomorrow at noon. ABC will televise the game and WVUM will also broadcast the game, with student commentators Jeremy Marks Peltz and Jesse Agler giving a play-by-play.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby@umsis.miami.edu

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...