Bush-Bashing: The new great American pastime

Following the attacks on the World Trade Center, President George Bush made a speech that we all remember as the day we knew exactly what we had elected the previous year. Bush made it clear that we were in fact fighting an “Axis of Evil” as opposed to terrorists. Bush called a lot of other things evil too. In fact, I just accepted that there wasn’t a country out there besides America that wasn’t evil.

Now we are learning why Bush knew who all the evil people were. Apparently, he is evil too, or at least that’s what the Democrats say. While I am not certain the Democratic candidates have called the President “evil” yet, it is possibly the next step in what seems to be a contest of who can point out the most Bush flaws in sixty seconds. I want to support a candidate who can lead America in fixing some of the problems we currently have, but I don’t think the Democrats’ current strategy is helping them reach that goal. I would also like everyone to notice how I wrote that whole sentence without using the words “evil,” “Bush,” or “special interests.” It’s not terribly difficult, so why do we continue to hear sentences that begin “Bush hasn’t” as opposed to “I will?”

Part of the reason Bush-bashing has become the new great American pastime is many of the candidates think they can ride Bush’s dropping approval rating straight into the White House. Unfortunately, this only shows that we should elect someone, but that someone could just as easily be Madonna as it could be the current candidates vying for the Democratic nomination. At one point, none of the candidates were really criticizing the Bush administration, so it was a good idea to make the issues known. Now we know, so I guess the only thing the Democratic candidates have left to do is tell us some of their original ideas even though it isn’t nearly as much fun as calling people evil.

Elaine Ayo can be contacted at eayo@umsis.miami.edu.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...