Students not required to study abroad through UM

Studying abroad for a semester is a popular form of exploration and adventure for many fortunate college students; however, students might not be aware that they are not confined to only those programs and countries offered by their home university.

Interested in studying in Italy for a semester through the University of Miami? Be aware that students may attend an Italian university, and must first have at least three semesters of college Italian, or be fluent enough to comprehend the lessons, while still maintaining a minimum 2.5 GPA. Regardless of what students are “advised,” nobody has to settle for strictly the study abroad programs existing through their home university, and can, in fact, study a semester in the country of their choice.

Many universities throughout the country offer study abroad programs, often with their own lavish campus. For example, New York University offers an abroad program in Florence where it proudly educates its students at La Pietra grounds, a 57-acre estate of five villas. Reliving the elegance of the Renaissance for an entire semester offers the advantage of getting to know a particular area. In contrast, other programs such as Semester at Sea, (www.semesteratsea.com) offers school-credited curriculums on a 23,000-ton passenger vessel that cruises to over eleven different countries.

In order to take a semester abroad through any of the various programs outside of University of Miami, one must take a leave of absence. The process should be handled sufficiently in advance, and with the help from an advisor. Depending on current school-credit standing, students may have to appeal to The Academic Review Committee before being permitted to take a leave of absence. This is due to the fact that the university would like all students to complete the last 45 credits in residence. Prior pre-approval of classes that will be taken abroad is absolutely obligatory to obtain the credit transfer. After the signatures are received, make copies for personal records and give the originals to your advisor who will keep them in your academic file. Once the semester commences, and the leave of absence begins, the student becomes inactive throughout school records until readmission back into the university. Re-admission is simple and requires a straightforward form sent into the registrars office prior to the semester of return.

If one dreams of seeing the world, one must embrace the challenges involved. With advance planning these challenges can easily be conquered, resulting in a lifetime experience that is irreplaceable with that of time.

Alex Friedman can be contacted at alexandrafriedman@yahoo.com.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...