SG UPDATE: New SG senators sworn into office, committees update work done

Last week’s Student Government [SG] Senate meeting began with special orders from the speaker in which all of the newly elected senators were sworn into office. All of the senators are looking forward to a productive and successful term.

The first item of new business was a bill to allocate $400 to Big Brothers, Big Sisters to go toward a UM field trip, presented by Ben Everard, the Big Brothers, Big Sisters representative. The bill was amended to allocate $200 to the cause instead of the original $400, and a final decision was postponed until Jan. 21.

The postponement resulted from points brought up in discussion such as the fact that only a budget for last year was presented, that the Senate is not a primary funding source, and that the event would not be truly open to UM students.

Also mentioned was the fact that funds solely available for this semester would be allocated to an event in the next semester.

These points were influential because the Senate must uphold certain guidelines by which student funds can be distributed; one of these being that the student body can participate in events which the Senate co-sponsors.

Further action on the bill was postponed so that more information can be gathered and so that the event, planned for next semester, would be funded by next semester’s funds.

The second item of new business was a resolution to support the “Get Out the Vote” campaign, authored by Jason R. Guercio, chief of staff for internal affairs. The resolution was amended in its wording and then passed unanimously.

The next bill, authored by Justice T. Walker, speaker pro tempore, was to recommend the addition of drainage systems at the Coral Gables Campus.

The bill originally called for attention to be given to a specific list of problem areas. After discussion the bill was amended to, instead of listing pre-determined sites, to call for a committee to research and determine the sites to be addressed. The bill then passed.

The last bill on the agenda was to allocate $500 to the Haitian Student Organization for Unity Day.

The bill was initially amended to reduce the amount allocated from $500 to $200. The bill failed after much debate over whether or not funds should be allocated if the organization had not yet requested supplemental funding from SAFAC and planned to charge UM students to participate.

The session concluded with committee updates. The University Affairs Committee is working on putting a sidewalk in front of the Cox Science Center, installing a drinking fountain in front of the School of Business and planning a tour of the campus lighting, vending machines and ‘Cane card readers to ensure their effectiveness.

Other updates included Mike Levine’s appointment as chairperson of the Academic Affairs Committee and the Public Relations Committee organized a vote for SG’s new publicity campaign.

Special Events announced that work is still in progress for UNICCO appreciation day, scheduled for Nov. 17.

Also, Category 5 announced that 13 spots remained open for the trip to Tallahassee for the FSU game on Oct. 11.

Finally, a Supreme Court representative announced that there are two positions open on the Supreme Court; applications must be in by next Thursday and can be picked up at the SG office.

Anyone with questions or complaints can contact an SG senator and he or she will contact the proper individuals.

For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214, or call 305-284-3082.

To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@umiami.edu.

Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.

Chelsy Castro can be contacted at c.castro2@umiami.edu.