Get the Marriage Message: Abstain from abstinence

I love that MTV show “Newlyweds” with Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey. I think that show has all the potential to turn into a new show I call, “Guinness Book of World’s Worst Divorces.”

It’s not that the idea of abstaining until marriage is a great idea, but it really isn’t all that practical. What happens is that two young people marry because they are almost desperate; the love really isn’t there. If you don’t believe me (Like So Many Out There), then ask yourself: “Aren’t you basing the marriage on sex?” Do you mean to tell me that Nick Lachey was like a bull charging at the Jessica bullfighter? A marriage is a system of checks and balances. My parents used to be romantic before they realized that after a while that you have to live with each other. Plus, my grandparents now say that marriage is the only war in which you sleep with the enemy! That happily-ever-after statement is a crock. Life can be long and nearly to the idea of pointlessness.

Now I don’t really know that much, I guess I can be an idiot, but don’t you need physical exposure to someone else before you actually know that you are in love, instead of being just a walking erection? I still have a hard time believing that sex is the only way for true love. Doesn’t emotional love and loyalty count? I don’t think that a physical connection will ever prove your loyalty, just ask Kobe Bryant. Sex is just a five-second orgasm, that’s it. It was meant for procreation and very fleeting enjoyment. I would like to think it’s something else, but it isn’t. What exactly are you proving to the world by basing your marriage on something that really doesn’t matter after a while?

And yes, there are consequences such as diseases and unwanted pregnancy and all sorts of mental and physical problems. I can see that. But somewhere in between promiscuity and abstinence, I think these hard-core abstainers ought to know that there can be a compromise.
One last question: “If sex is advertised in TV and clothing, and people try and look exceptional for each other, and the pornography industry is a multi-billion dollar a year regime, then how could two beautiful people who just watch these off-beat and inconsistent romance movies that do include infidelity actually think that they will only have sex with each other for the rest of their lives?”

Seth Bleicher can be contacted at sethbleicher@yahoo.com.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...