Culture

99 RED BALLOONS: Brooklyn’s Fannypack tattle on camel toes, boys and free clothes

So, I’ve been waiting with Omar for years in the downstairs lounge of SoHo Lounge, it’s Vice night, waiting for f-u-n playskool bass heads Fannypack to arrive. Yankees always have to be fashionably late, right Omar?

Fortunately the six pack (loot) of complementary Holland beer I brought for this group-on-the-cum-up, three girls from Brooklyn named Belinda, 16, Cat, about 22, Jessibel, 18, and two flamboyantly talented DJs, Fancy and Matt, is getting guzzled. Let’s go ahead and turn the clock. Dwooopp! (That’s Sven turning the clock hand – thanks).

They arrive, it’s near midnight and sound-check is just getting started upstairs. Fancy, the metrosexually ‘stached adult overseer (just from what I’ve seen on MTV) is no where to be entertained by. Posted against a wall, all of sudden Matt starts blurting out from the stage like a soap opera director, “Jessibel is having her period right now.” He scans the bare room and looks at me – why me, I wonder? “Do you have any soup, she’s PMS-ing?” What, fag? Can we do this interview or what?

Dwooop! After convincing Matt to move the girls over to a couch across the upstairs bar area, the interview is on. A little airplane-d out, the girls of Fannypack are smiles and giggles – strawberry and tangerine lip sheen to the maxx. Belinda, the youngest and also the loudest is all denimed out. Before she performs she slips into electroclash-y black and pink hose, and gets crushed with eyeliner. She’s like the grown-up street Ed. black chick who did summer slap-hands anthems during recess. Cat, most single and a BU alum, is a catch and a third, fluttering her naturally glittery eyes just right, into everything from Chk Chk Chk to Salt-N-Peppa. And Jessibel, often noted as the group’s core, is understandably dumpy – but when she jumps on stage an hour later, it’s all sexy vix, mike-controller. Girls never fail to blow minds.

The first anniversary of SoHo Lounge, the stage is specially extended to include a catwalk for YoYo’s late-late-night fashion show. Pinkish d

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...