Yach emerges as leader of Hurricanes’ offense

There are not many athletes in today’s world that gain more out of a particular sport than simply wins and losses. For Lindsay Yach, the sophomore forward of the women’s soccer team, soccer reflects her entire life.
Yach grew up in Carrollton, Texas, a town just north of Dallas. It was there that she started to play soccer in elementary school. Ever since she was young, Yach has played for the people around her, and has never thought otherwise.
In high school, Yach broke the team record for most goals scored in a single season. She also was a part of the Dallas Sting, a soccer club that competed all over the state. The Sting changed coaches every two years, which allowed Yach to receive different coaching techniques and advice. Because of this, her Texas style of play became more versatile, which helps even today being on a team that features many different styles of play.
Although she is grateful for having her overall game improve during this time, Yach illustrates this is a minuscule point when considering how the coaches helped her define her character.
“The [soccer]club helped made me who I am today,” Yach said.
Yach’s biggest inspiration in soccer comes from a person who transcends off the field and into her daily life. She attributes much of her soccer success to her father.
“He’s like having a personal trainer or coach,” Yach said.
Yach emanates a greater understanding in soccer that exceeds beyond the sport and all of athletics into the basic principles of life.
Yach arrived at the University of Miami last year. Growing up in Carrollton, Yach noticed the lack of variance in style.
“You see a lot of the same [soccer]styles [in Texas],” Yach said.
When arriving at UM, Yach found out that every player had a different style that worked.
“I chose Miami because it was far away from home, it was by the beach, and the team chemistry,” Yach said.
As a freshman for the Hurricanes, Yach was second on the team with 19 points, including eight goals and three assists. In ’02 Yach tallied two game-winning goals and already has a game-winning goal this year.
“I was just at the right place at the right time, it really is because of my teammates,” Yach said.
At the end of her freshman year with the ‘Canes, Yach was named to the Big East All Rookie Team, a feat that she feels made her want to play harder.
At the start of the 2003 season, Yacht wants to take her game to the next level. She doesn’t want to merely score more points, hoping to become a stronger all-around player.
“I want to improve and make an impact in every game,” Yach said.
Yach feels the team will further improve due to a new formation head coach Tricia Taliaferro has prepared.
“The new system is easier to learn…and will be more successful in the future,” Yach said.
Yach currently leads the team with 14 points on the season, including six goals and two assists. The Hurricanes are currently 6-4 after a 3-1 win over No. 10 Connecticut.

Spencer Weinkle can be reached at Fontier34@aol.com

LINDSAY YACH
CLASS ————Sophomore
HOMETOWN——-Carrollton, TX
HIGH SCHOOL—-Creekview
HEIGHT————5 feet 5 inches
POSITION———Forward/Midfield

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...