SPORTS BRIEFS

Cross Country
University of Miami sophomore Alex Brutvan was the Hurricanes’ top finisher at the Great American Cross Country Festival in Cary, NC.
Brutvan finished 67th completing the 8,000-meter course with a time of 27:18.20 marking the third consecutive meet this season in which he has been the Hurricanes’ top finisher. The 22 team field included 10 nationally-ranked teams and 154 of the top runners in the nation.
Miami freshman Tom Berry continued his strong first season finishing 98th with a time of 27:58.20.
The men’s cross country team returns to action on October 11 at the Disney Invitational in Orlando, FL.

Volleyball
The University of Miami volleyball team downed Big East foe Seton Hall, 3-0 at Walsh Gymnasium in South Orange, N.J. on Saturday afternoon.
The Hurricanes improved to 11-4 on the season and capitalized on 14 service errors by SHU to sweep the Pirates in three games and earned the victory in the conference opener.
“This was a great win for us over a very good Seton Hall team,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “Valeria Tipiana and Elizabeth Tyson were strong for us attacking the ball and Jamie Grass turned in another great performance. Seton Hall had won five straight home matches up to this point. It was a big win to start the conference 1-0 and a great win on the road.”
Tipiana led the Hurricanes with 14 kills, posting a .313 hitting percentage and Tyson turned in nine kills for a team-high .381 hitting percentage – the junior’s second highest this season. Grass totaled 13 digs on the day while senior Leyre Santaella Sante collected 13 kills.
The Pirates Katherine Whitney and Jenna Meyers each had a match-high 18 kills to lead SHU.

Men’s Tennis
The Miami men’s tennis team had another strong showing winning four-of-five singles matches in day two of the Gator Fall Classic in Gainesville, Fla. Saturday morning.
The Hurricanes faced Mississippi State in the hidden dual tournament hosted by Florida.
Miami came out flat losing both doubles matches before an impressive singles performance from the team.
“I am very proud of the way the guys responded when they were challenged by the coaching staff,” said head coach Bryan Getz. “They didn’t get down after doubles play they came out in a strong positive manner in singles.”
Tim Krebs continued on the winning path at No. 1 singles beating Joses-Carlos Pinto in straight sets 6-4, 6-1.
Eric Hechtman beat Luiz Carvalho 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 2 spot, while Colin Purcell downed Florent Girod 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3 singles.
Newcomer Jonathan Ounjian won his third match in a row beating Matt Armstrong 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 5 spot.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...