SG Senators campaign for votes, amend constitution

During the week of Sept. 22, the Student Government senators running for re-election anxiously campaigned to win the votes of their constituents. Throughout the senators’ weekly meeting, many looked around the room, hoping it would not be their last meeting of the school year as a senator.
During the meeting, Senate amended the SG constitution, all sections pertaining to the Cabinet. Senators also sent out congratulations to the four students ratified as elections commissioners: Jessica Yates, Thomas Baumer, Annette Ponnock and Monica Gomez. Their role in SG will be to oversee the elections by publicizing, creating elections packets, managing all voting sites and making sure rules are followed by candidates during campaigning.
Next week SG will encompass a new group of senators so make sure to find out how to contact your senator via the Student Government website.
Also during the meeting, senators passed a bill to allocate $500 to SpectrUM for their biggest event of the year, Coming Out Week 2003: “Celebrating the Colors of Diversity.” The money will directly support the presence of their guest speaker, Rachel Robinson from the MTV Road Rules series.
If anyone has any complaints, problems or concerns, inform your SG senator and he or she will contact the proper individuals.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@umiami.edu.
Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.

Meredith Friedman can be contacted at m.friedman@umiami.edu.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...