SG Senators campaign for votes, amend constitution

During the week of Sept. 22, the Student Government senators running for re-election anxiously campaigned to win the votes of their constituents. Throughout the senators’ weekly meeting, many looked around the room, hoping it would not be their last meeting of the school year as a senator.
During the meeting, Senate amended the SG constitution, all sections pertaining to the Cabinet. Senators also sent out congratulations to the four students ratified as elections commissioners: Jessica Yates, Thomas Baumer, Annette Ponnock and Monica Gomez. Their role in SG will be to oversee the elections by publicizing, creating elections packets, managing all voting sites and making sure rules are followed by candidates during campaigning.
Next week SG will encompass a new group of senators so make sure to find out how to contact your senator via the Student Government website.
Also during the meeting, senators passed a bill to allocate $500 to SpectrUM for their biggest event of the year, Coming Out Week 2003: “Celebrating the Colors of Diversity.” The money will directly support the presence of their guest speaker, Rachel Robinson from the MTV Road Rules series.
If anyone has any complaints, problems or concerns, inform your SG senator and he or she will contact the proper individuals.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@umiami.edu.
Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.

Meredith Friedman can be contacted at m.friedman@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...