NEWS BRIEFS

Hearing Panel seeks members

Would you be interested in sitting on a Disciplinary Hearing Panel? The UDHP hears cases for minor violations of UM policies to which the student pleads Not Guilty. Panel Members are responsible for ascertaining a student’s guilt or innocence of the charge(s) and have the authority to assess penalties according to the 2003-04 Student Rights & Responsibilities manual. If you are a full-time undergraduate with a minimum 2.0 GPA and in good disciplinary standing you can apply. Applications are available in Building 21-E, or call 305-284-5353 for information.

Flu vaccines available for free

Flu season is here. Protect yourself and those you love by getting the flu vaccine. The flu vaccine is available free of charge at the Student Health Center and will also be available for free ($1 United Way donation suggested) at several sites on campus during the next several weeks. Please visit the Student Health Center web site at www.miami.edu/student-health for times and locations.

Student receives PR scholarship

Heather Solomon, co-president of the PRSSA, was recently awarded the 2003 Ev Clay Scholarship, which annually awards three scholarships, in the amount of $2,500, to outstanding public relations students.

Latino fraternity protests merger

Lambda Theta Phi, the nation’s oldest and largest Latino fraternity, announced that it will begin staging rallies, conducting letter writing campaigns and holding lectures across the country in opposition to the proposed merger of Univision and the Hispanic Broadcasting Corporation. The organization believes that the merger will mitigate the responsiveness of Spanish language broadcasting to local communities and eliminate Hispanic ownership in Hispanic media. With this announcement, the fraternity’s 80 college chapters, including one at UM, join a contingent of Congressional representatives, the Hispanic American for Fairness in Media, the Consumer Federation or America, the Spanish Broadcasting System, the Hispanic Organization of Latin Actors, the United Latino Find and other groups to block FCC approval of a merger that will monopolize 70 percent of Spanish-language advertising revenues in the US by creating a TV, cable, music and internet conglomerate. For more information check out www.lambda1975.org.

Aguirre earns UM Order of Merit

UM President Donna Shalala honored Diario Las Americas publisher Horacio Aguirre with the University’s Distinguished Order of Merit. The University of Miami Board of Trustees established the University’s Distinguished Order of Merit in 1957 as a means of recognizing notable achievements of outstanding individuals. Past recipients of this merit include Maya Angelou, Bob Graham and Luis Botifoll.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...