NEWS BRIEFS

Hearing Panel seeks members

Would you be interested in sitting on a Disciplinary Hearing Panel? The UDHP hears cases for minor violations of UM policies to which the student pleads Not Guilty. Panel Members are responsible for ascertaining a student’s guilt or innocence of the charge(s) and have the authority to assess penalties according to the 2003-04 Student Rights & Responsibilities manual. If you are a full-time undergraduate with a minimum 2.0 GPA and in good disciplinary standing you can apply. Applications are available in Building 21-E, or call 305-284-5353 for information.

Flu vaccines available for free

Flu season is here. Protect yourself and those you love by getting the flu vaccine. The flu vaccine is available free of charge at the Student Health Center and will also be available for free ($1 United Way donation suggested) at several sites on campus during the next several weeks. Please visit the Student Health Center web site at www.miami.edu/student-health for times and locations.

Student receives PR scholarship

Heather Solomon, co-president of the PRSSA, was recently awarded the 2003 Ev Clay Scholarship, which annually awards three scholarships, in the amount of $2,500, to outstanding public relations students.

Latino fraternity protests merger

Lambda Theta Phi, the nation’s oldest and largest Latino fraternity, announced that it will begin staging rallies, conducting letter writing campaigns and holding lectures across the country in opposition to the proposed merger of Univision and the Hispanic Broadcasting Corporation. The organization believes that the merger will mitigate the responsiveness of Spanish language broadcasting to local communities and eliminate Hispanic ownership in Hispanic media. With this announcement, the fraternity’s 80 college chapters, including one at UM, join a contingent of Congressional representatives, the Hispanic American for Fairness in Media, the Consumer Federation or America, the Spanish Broadcasting System, the Hispanic Organization of Latin Actors, the United Latino Find and other groups to block FCC approval of a merger that will monopolize 70 percent of Spanish-language advertising revenues in the US by creating a TV, cable, music and internet conglomerate. For more information check out www.lambda1975.org.

Aguirre earns UM Order of Merit

UM President Donna Shalala honored Diario Las Americas publisher Horacio Aguirre with the University’s Distinguished Order of Merit. The University of Miami Board of Trustees established the University’s Distinguished Order of Merit in 1957 as a means of recognizing notable achievements of outstanding individuals. Past recipients of this merit include Maya Angelou, Bob Graham and Luis Botifoll.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...