FCC: What’s good for business is bad for democracy

It is strange when Congressional Democrats and Republicans actually unite to pass a seldom-used avenue of expressing disapproval of a government agency. Moreover, the National Rifle Association, Code Pink: Women for Peace, and the Conference of Catholic Bishops came together to fight one common cause. It is interesting to see who unites over the contentious issue of the Federal Communications Commission’s initiative to further deregulate the media industry. I hope that these alliances can withstand the three-pronged attack from the major media conglomerates, the White House and the FCC.
Although I admire the bipartisan effort to stop the new regulations, I don’t understand why they are trying to focus the debate simply on whether the cap should be at 35% or 45%. The more disturbing part of these new regulations is the idea of allowing newspaper-television station cross-ownership. To allow the information presented on Dateline to again be reprinted in the daily newspaper seems a bit much, not because it increases the credibility of the information, not because it is necessarily good, but because it is repeated in two places.
Moreover, the arguments against repealing the new regulations don’t make sense. One is that is that the rules needed to be updated. I will admit that there needs to be something done to bring the FCC into the 21st century, but that’s just an argument for new rules, not these rules. Another is that if the new FCC rules are not passed, then radio stations will be allowed to become giant evil monopolies of doom. While I can see the validity of this concern, I don’t understand why radio regulation and media convergence on all other fronts are inextricably tied to one another. Finally, consider the plight of the poor networks not being able to turn a profit when faced with competition from cable networks. Has anyone ever noticed how many network companies own cable channels too? Competition, even FCC induced competition, keeps the media in check. We can’t sacrifice that check because its easier to just put faith in the media’s ability to fix itself. For once, let’s not do something that is good for business. Stranger things have happened.

Elaine Ayo can be contacted at eayo@umsis.miami.edu.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...