Culture

art review: BLACK FLAG AND RED, WHITE AND BLUE

The intricacies underlying American history are the driving force behind the American Short Stories exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art in NoMi.

Raymond Pettibon and Saul Steinberg may cater to different audiences (the former commenting on the underbelly of society, while Steinberg deals with the urbane culture’s sentimentality), but their techniques are the same: utilizing graphic illustrations in a narrative from. Each piece is structured so that they are self-contained stories, always trying to get at the ephemeral theme of living in America.

Pettibon’s characters appear in a brutal reality, where Batman prays that the city is safe for a night, Gumby wishes he was high art, Jean Harlow turns into a werewolf on her wedding night, and George Washington wonders, “Why do I always get stuck with the old, ugly prostitutes?” There is no affection for his youth and the hippie sentimentality of the ’60s; he exposes their duplicity and naivet

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...