SPORTS NEWS BRIEFS

Volleyball
The University of Miami volleyball team swept Jacksonville, 3-0 on Saturday afternoon at the Florida State Classic in Tallahassee, Fla.
With the win, the Hurricanes improve to 9-4 on the season and wrap up their final preseason tournament. Jacksonville falls to 1-9 on the season.
The Hurricanes started off strong in the first game, opening with a 10-4 lead. Miami continued to roll, leading by as much as eleven points at 28-17 before overtaking JU, 30-21 to win the first game.
The Dolphins would regroup in the second game, upping UM 9-7 early in the game. JU extended the lead to three at 11-9 until Miami tied the game at 12-12 on a kill by freshman Francheska Savage. Jacksonville bounced back to lead the Hurricanes, 16-14. Not to be outdone, Miami scored five straight points to take a 19-16 lead over the Dolphins. The two schools would swap the lead until the Hurricanes edged JU 30-28 to take a two game advantage going into the third game.
Miami opened the third game with an 11-3 lead. The Hurricanes would not allow JU to within six points, leading by as much as 13 at 26-13 on their way to a 30-17 win to seal the victory.
Savage had an outstanding performance for the Hurricanes with seven kills on 14 attempts, along with three blocks. Junior outside hitter Valeria Tipiana turned in a team-high 12 kills and senior Leyre Santaella Sante had 11 kills and four blocks for the Hurricanes.
Tipiana and Santaella Sante earned All-Tournament honors for their play at the FSU Classic.
Miami will return to Coral Gables to face in-state rival Florida International at the Knight Sports Complex on Tuesday, Sept. 23 at 7 p.m.

Tennis
The men’s tennis team wrapped up day two of the UM Fall Classic Saturday afternoon winning all three doubles matches and a singles match at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Tim Krebs teamed with Colin Purcell to beat Chris Gostek and Michael Green of Alabama 8-1 at No. 1 doubles. Eric Hechtman and Josh Cohen defeated F.J. Schofield and Kevin Obletz of FAU 8-6 at the No. 2 spot, while Luis Manrique and John Hoyes II beat Mauricio Paiz (FAU) and Joseph Jung (Alabama) 8-4 at No. 3. Purcell was the only Hurricane to win his singles match beating Mauricio Paiz of FAU 6-2, 6-0 at No. 3 singles.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...