SG discusses parking spaces, Homecoming

During last week’s meeting, Student Government Senate allocated money to the Mr. UM contest for Homecoming, ratified four elections commissioners and heard reports from all standing committees.
Senators had the opportunity to speak with Chuck McConnell, director of parking and transportation. He explained the new measures being taken to ensure that those who have classes over in the new Ponce Garage add-on will be able to make it to and from class on time.
McConnell also explained the current status of the parking situation on campus. He mentioned that quite possibly in the future pending the appropriate funds, the Pavia garage could have two additional floors built on to it.
As for the parking space sizes in the Memorial Building and the School of Communication lots, McConnell confirmed the fact that some of the spaces do not comply with the Coral Gables section 33 zoning ordinance which states:
“A regular parking space shall mean an area of not less than 171 feet with a minimum width of nine feet, and minimum depth of 19 feet, which is specifically designated for, and used for, the parking of an automobile or light truck.”
Until other parking issues are resolved with the city, however, the spaces will not be changed. McConnell affirmed during the meeting that he and his department have the best interest of the students in mind.
If anyone has any complaints, problems or concerns, inform your SG senator and he or she will contact the proper individuals.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@miami.edu.

Peter Groverman can be contacted at stalemelon@aol.com

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...