SG discusses parking spaces, Homecoming

During last week’s meeting, Student Government Senate allocated money to the Mr. UM contest for Homecoming, ratified four elections commissioners and heard reports from all standing committees.
Senators had the opportunity to speak with Chuck McConnell, director of parking and transportation. He explained the new measures being taken to ensure that those who have classes over in the new Ponce Garage add-on will be able to make it to and from class on time.
McConnell also explained the current status of the parking situation on campus. He mentioned that quite possibly in the future pending the appropriate funds, the Pavia garage could have two additional floors built on to it.
As for the parking space sizes in the Memorial Building and the School of Communication lots, McConnell confirmed the fact that some of the spaces do not comply with the Coral Gables section 33 zoning ordinance which states:
“A regular parking space shall mean an area of not less than 171 feet with a minimum width of nine feet, and minimum depth of 19 feet, which is specifically designated for, and used for, the parking of an automobile or light truck.”
Until other parking issues are resolved with the city, however, the spaces will not be changed. McConnell affirmed during the meeting that he and his department have the best interest of the students in mind.
If anyone has any complaints, problems or concerns, inform your SG senator and he or she will contact the proper individuals.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@miami.edu.

Peter Groverman can be contacted at stalemelon@aol.com

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...