SG discusses parking spaces, Homecoming

During last week’s meeting, Student Government Senate allocated money to the Mr. UM contest for Homecoming, ratified four elections commissioners and heard reports from all standing committees.
Senators had the opportunity to speak with Chuck McConnell, director of parking and transportation. He explained the new measures being taken to ensure that those who have classes over in the new Ponce Garage add-on will be able to make it to and from class on time.
McConnell also explained the current status of the parking situation on campus. He mentioned that quite possibly in the future pending the appropriate funds, the Pavia garage could have two additional floors built on to it.
As for the parking space sizes in the Memorial Building and the School of Communication lots, McConnell confirmed the fact that some of the spaces do not comply with the Coral Gables section 33 zoning ordinance which states:
“A regular parking space shall mean an area of not less than 171 feet with a minimum width of nine feet, and minimum depth of 19 feet, which is specifically designated for, and used for, the parking of an automobile or light truck.”
Until other parking issues are resolved with the city, however, the spaces will not be changed. McConnell affirmed during the meeting that he and his department have the best interest of the students in mind.
If anyone has any complaints, problems or concerns, inform your SG senator and he or she will contact the proper individuals.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@miami.edu.

Peter Groverman can be contacted at stalemelon@aol.com

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...