NEWS BRIEFS

UMTV’s ‘NewsVision’ wins award
On Sept. 13, the Society of Professional Journalism (SPJ) named NewsVision, the student written and produced news program based at the School of Communication, Best Non-Daily College Newscast in the country. The national award was given at the SPJ national convention in Tampa, which drew nearly 2,700 entries in print, radio, television and online college journalism. To win the honor, a school must demonstrate year-round excellence. Judges review three randomly chosen newscasts. They chose those produced and anchored by students Maureen Capasso, Stephen Webster, Jessica Kiss, David Hamilton and Alina Masenya. Faculty advisors are Carolyn Cefalo and Andrew Barton. The award-winning NewsVision is broadcast on UMTV on Tuesday and Thursday nights at 7 p.m. on cable channel 40 on campus and in the Coral Gables community, on AT&T Broadband cable channel 96.
Five new plays come to Ring Theatre
The University of Miami Department of Theater Arts invites the South Florida community to its 2003-2004 season, which commences Oct. 9 at The Jerry Herman Ring Theatre and includes five riveting theatrical works. Back by popular demand is Totally Tuesday, a students-only night with free admission. The season begins with Noises Off, a behind-the-scenes slapstick comedy. With breakneck pace and a rich gallery of daft characters, this brilliantly physical farce follows the on and off-stage antics of a second-rate British touring company as they stumble from dress rehearsal to disastrous closing night while performing the fictional sex comedy, Nothing On. Noises Off runs Oct. 9-18. Totally Tuesday is Oct. 14 at 8 p.m.

Free champ consultation available
Do you ever wonder how fit you are? Do you need direction in starting a fitness routine? If yes, make an appointment for a CHAMP consultation. Specially trained peer counselors provide a fitness assessment and lifestyle questionnaire for students. Peer counselors work with students to develop personalized wellness plans. To make an appointment, call the Wellness Suite at 305-284-LIFE.

Lowe free for UM students & staff
The Lowe Art Museum is extending a special invitation to the UM Community – students, faculty, staff and alumni have FREE admission with a valid ‘Cane Card or UM Alumni card. The Lowe, established with the generous support of philanthropists Joe and Emily Lowe, first opened on Feb. 3, 1952 and is South Florida’s oldest museum. It is home to a collection of over 10,000 objects, including European and American paintings and works on paper and Asian, African, Native American and Ancient American art. The Lowe offers a wide array of both temporary and permanent exhibits together with educational programming that enhances the visitor’s experience.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...