NEWS BRIEFS

UMTV’s ‘NewsVision’ wins award
On Sept. 13, the Society of Professional Journalism (SPJ) named NewsVision, the student written and produced news program based at the School of Communication, Best Non-Daily College Newscast in the country. The national award was given at the SPJ national convention in Tampa, which drew nearly 2,700 entries in print, radio, television and online college journalism. To win the honor, a school must demonstrate year-round excellence. Judges review three randomly chosen newscasts. They chose those produced and anchored by students Maureen Capasso, Stephen Webster, Jessica Kiss, David Hamilton and Alina Masenya. Faculty advisors are Carolyn Cefalo and Andrew Barton. The award-winning NewsVision is broadcast on UMTV on Tuesday and Thursday nights at 7 p.m. on cable channel 40 on campus and in the Coral Gables community, on AT&T Broadband cable channel 96.
Five new plays come to Ring Theatre
The University of Miami Department of Theater Arts invites the South Florida community to its 2003-2004 season, which commences Oct. 9 at The Jerry Herman Ring Theatre and includes five riveting theatrical works. Back by popular demand is Totally Tuesday, a students-only night with free admission. The season begins with Noises Off, a behind-the-scenes slapstick comedy. With breakneck pace and a rich gallery of daft characters, this brilliantly physical farce follows the on and off-stage antics of a second-rate British touring company as they stumble from dress rehearsal to disastrous closing night while performing the fictional sex comedy, Nothing On. Noises Off runs Oct. 9-18. Totally Tuesday is Oct. 14 at 8 p.m.

Free champ consultation available
Do you ever wonder how fit you are? Do you need direction in starting a fitness routine? If yes, make an appointment for a CHAMP consultation. Specially trained peer counselors provide a fitness assessment and lifestyle questionnaire for students. Peer counselors work with students to develop personalized wellness plans. To make an appointment, call the Wellness Suite at 305-284-LIFE.

Lowe free for UM students & staff
The Lowe Art Museum is extending a special invitation to the UM Community – students, faculty, staff and alumni have FREE admission with a valid ‘Cane Card or UM Alumni card. The Lowe, established with the generous support of philanthropists Joe and Emily Lowe, first opened on Feb. 3, 1952 and is South Florida’s oldest museum. It is home to a collection of over 10,000 objects, including European and American paintings and works on paper and Asian, African, Native American and Ancient American art. The Lowe offers a wide array of both temporary and permanent exhibits together with educational programming that enhances the visitor’s experience.

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...