Defense steals show in B.C.

The Miami defense once again allowed fans and skeptics to overlook the ineffectiveness of the offense. The defense surrendered only 94 yards in the air – the lowest total by a UM opponent this season. In addition, the Hurricane defense held Heisman candidate Derrick Knight to only 83 yards rushing.
Sean Taylor continued to show off his playmaking abilities. His 67-yard interception return for a TD with 11:55 left in the second quarter gave UM a 21-0 lead. The score was Taylor’s first interception return for a TD at UM, but his third career TD. Taylor returned a punt for a score (78 yards) last year vs. Pittsburgh and caught a pass for a 47-yard score against Syracuse in 2002.
Alfonso Marshall also made a big play, as his interception in the end zone in the beginning of the fourth quarter ended a BC scoring threat. The pickoff was the third of his career and second this season.

School Records
Roscoe Parrish’s 92-yard punt return for a touchdown in the first quarter broke Kevin Williams’ school record of 91 yards. The Williams punt return for a TD came against Penn State in 1991. Miami has now scored seven touchdowns this season via returns, bettering their total from last season. Since 1999, Miami has scored more touchdowns on returns than any other team in the nation. Miami has scored at least one non-offensive touchdown in each game this season.

Lack of Concentration
Miami continued their knack for committing mental errors. The ‘Canes committed 11 penalties for a whopping 95 yards in the game. Four of those penalties were personal fouls. Coach Coker realizes that the team cannot continue to be penalized. “It is a frustrating win because there were still too many errors,” Coker said after the game.
Berlin agreed with his coach, but feels the team can overcome their early troubles.
“It’s pretty frustrating to keep putting ourselves in the wrong situations so we’re going to keep harping on it and hopefully one day we can do it,” Berlin said.

Miami vs. BC Series
Miami is now 22-3 all time vs. Boston College, with 14 consecutive victories dating back to 1985. The last Eagles victory in the series was the memorable “Hail Flutie” game (47-45 BC) at the Orange Bowl in 1984. Since joining the Big East in 1991, Miami is undefeated vs. the Eagles. The victory at Alumni Stadium also extended Miami’s nation best 17-game win streak on the road. Miami’s last road loss came at Washington in 2000.

Miscellaneous
Miami extended its nation-best regular season winning streak to 36 games in a row…BC’s touchdown with 11:28 left in the fourth quarter was the first TD allowed by the UM defense in eight quarters dating back to a Florida TD with 6:10 left in the third quarter on Sept. 6…Jason Geathers’ four receptions were a career high and his 37 yards receiving matched a career high…Brock Berlin continued to spread the wealth, completing passes to eight different receivers…Senior tailback Jarrett Payton scored his third rushing TD of the season and the sixth of his career…Miami has scored first in every game this season…Miami has a bye week this weekend and will resume play next Thursday night at the Orange Bowl against Big East foe West Virginia.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...