Culture

Aesop Rock’s got the tortuous rhyme skills: L&A interviews him at the Hudson in NYC

People just don’t get NYC’s Aesop Rock. His muddled lyrics and somber tales of the metropolitan jungle often bewilder listeners. If you can get over his dense, bassey voice and oscillating lyrical delivery, you might need to adjust yourself to his head-wobbling beats, which he produces, alongside Def Jux cohorts such as El-P. Critics are stunned by the plethora of vocabulary he uses in his rhymes, but really, Ian Bavitz is just a regular guy with some off-the-wall rhyming skills. Arguably, he’s the best white rapper the mainstream doesn’t know about – well, at least the most ingenious.

After cultivating a loyal fanbase with records such as Appleseed (1999), Float (2000) and Labor Days (2001), the cunning Lower East Side native just dropped a new record today, Bazooka Tooth. Hitting your eardrums with razor blade poignancy, the album boasts complex beats, while Aesop raps about everything from the banalities of daily life to the tragedy of 9/11 (“Breaker 1-9/9-11-01 witness/Maybe you don’t get this,” he spits on “NY Electric”).

Life & Art caught up with the MC at NYC’s

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...