UM’s School of Communication revamps major in photography

The School of Communication joins schools around the nation with its re-launch of the photography program as a visual communication/photography undergraduate program this fall. The goal of the program is to bring different types of visual communications media together, including the web, video broadcasting, multimedia, photography and design in order to update the program to reflect the overlapping use of media technology today.
Lelen Bourgoignie-Robert, program coordinator, said the program fits the times and will teach students how to be story-tellers using more than one form of visual communication.
“We are offering [students]the opportunity to learn different visual media they will have to deal with as they move from the undergraduate level into the real world,” Bourgoignie-Robert said. “Things are changing so much in the media world that it almost makes it a necessity to [revamp the program].”
Basically, the new major will require students to take five core courses and choose seven classes from 15 to 16 courses that cover both ends of the media spectrum in addition to fulfilling other requirements.
The program will include five core faculty members including Lelen Bourgoignie-Robert, Lupe Langton, Kim Grinfeder and Michelle Seelig, along with other faculty from within the School of Communication.
The core faculty will rotate in teaching courses so that students have a variety of professors.
Professor Seelig, who teaches advertising and public relations, says that the program will be useful.
“It will help students be more aware of what it means to be a visual story-teller, to understand what it means to put a message together and take advantage of what’s out there,” Seelig said.
Lauren Reid, junior, formerly a photojournalism major, says she does not like the new curriculum as much because it is now more difficult for her to obtain her required courses.
“It’s kind of annoying because they don’t make the classes I need anymore,” Reid said.
Despite extra trips to her advisor, she believes the changes will help students in the long run.
John Fahrendorf, graduate student, thinks the idea serves the times.
“Technology these days is a vast encompassing beast – it only furthers students to take different courses,” Fahrendorf said. “Everything is becoming more interconnected into one solid form of consumption.”
Alexandra Zuiderweg, freshman, also says the changes add to the curriculum.
“I think it will help them diversify their talents. I don’t know if it’ll make much of a difference but they will learn more,” Zuiderweg said.

For a more detailed description of the visual communication/photography major, visit www.miami.edu/com/uprograms/photo.htm.

Marquita Bell can be contacted at m_bell01@hotmail.com.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...