UM’s School of Communication revamps major in photography

The School of Communication joins schools around the nation with its re-launch of the photography program as a visual communication/photography undergraduate program this fall. The goal of the program is to bring different types of visual communications media together, including the web, video broadcasting, multimedia, photography and design in order to update the program to reflect the overlapping use of media technology today.
Lelen Bourgoignie-Robert, program coordinator, said the program fits the times and will teach students how to be story-tellers using more than one form of visual communication.
“We are offering [students]the opportunity to learn different visual media they will have to deal with as they move from the undergraduate level into the real world,” Bourgoignie-Robert said. “Things are changing so much in the media world that it almost makes it a necessity to [revamp the program].”
Basically, the new major will require students to take five core courses and choose seven classes from 15 to 16 courses that cover both ends of the media spectrum in addition to fulfilling other requirements.
The program will include five core faculty members including Lelen Bourgoignie-Robert, Lupe Langton, Kim Grinfeder and Michelle Seelig, along with other faculty from within the School of Communication.
The core faculty will rotate in teaching courses so that students have a variety of professors.
Professor Seelig, who teaches advertising and public relations, says that the program will be useful.
“It will help students be more aware of what it means to be a visual story-teller, to understand what it means to put a message together and take advantage of what’s out there,” Seelig said.
Lauren Reid, junior, formerly a photojournalism major, says she does not like the new curriculum as much because it is now more difficult for her to obtain her required courses.
“It’s kind of annoying because they don’t make the classes I need anymore,” Reid said.
Despite extra trips to her advisor, she believes the changes will help students in the long run.
John Fahrendorf, graduate student, thinks the idea serves the times.
“Technology these days is a vast encompassing beast – it only furthers students to take different courses,” Fahrendorf said. “Everything is becoming more interconnected into one solid form of consumption.”
Alexandra Zuiderweg, freshman, also says the changes add to the curriculum.
“I think it will help them diversify their talents. I don’t know if it’ll make much of a difference but they will learn more,” Zuiderweg said.

For a more detailed description of the visual communication/photography major, visit www.miami.edu/com/uprograms/photo.htm.

Marquita Bell can be contacted at m_bell01@hotmail.com.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...