LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “My So-Called Life: How to save at UM”
I understand that you are disgruntled by the fact that your parents care enough about your education to send you to one of the premier research institutions in the country, and I can respect your right to free speech. However, if you are going to suggest inane propositions, perhaps doing so with some thought may be slightly more fruitful.
First of all, the new M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education is being built with funds raised during a capital campaign, not with “federal funds.” Additionally, whether you would like to admit it or not, one day a nurse will most likely be “cleaning feces” off old man Seth’s bum. In case you have not had the opportunity to work in, or be a patient in, a medical setting, I can assure you that you will be thankful for well-trained nurses if you ever do.
Secondly, the “fountain” in the middle of the lake re-circulates water, and does not increase the “monthly water payments.” In case you haven’t taken the opportunity to notice, the lake is a beautiful and serene place to bring your books to study, and make the most out of your, excuse me, your parents’ “thirty thousand a year.”
Lastly, joking about the tragic death of a student is a bit distasteful. If you have such staunch opinions concerning the way the university is run, perhaps running for a student office may be a more productive avenue for making a difference. If not, you could always run a California gubernatorial campaign.
If you want to save at UM, consider opting for the discount parking pass, that’ll save you $100. You also might want to buy some books online at places like half.com – that’ll save you money as well. Furthermore, the Richter Library is an amazing facility that has, or can get from another library, nearly anything you desire. Utilizing the vast variety of resources that this “private institution” has to offer is a superb way to take advantage of the opportunities that the University of Miami provides for you.

Blake Scanlon
Graduate Assistant

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...