LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “My So-Called Life: How to save at UM”
I understand that you are disgruntled by the fact that your parents care enough about your education to send you to one of the premier research institutions in the country, and I can respect your right to free speech. However, if you are going to suggest inane propositions, perhaps doing so with some thought may be slightly more fruitful.
First of all, the new M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education is being built with funds raised during a capital campaign, not with “federal funds.” Additionally, whether you would like to admit it or not, one day a nurse will most likely be “cleaning feces” off old man Seth’s bum. In case you have not had the opportunity to work in, or be a patient in, a medical setting, I can assure you that you will be thankful for well-trained nurses if you ever do.
Secondly, the “fountain” in the middle of the lake re-circulates water, and does not increase the “monthly water payments.” In case you haven’t taken the opportunity to notice, the lake is a beautiful and serene place to bring your books to study, and make the most out of your, excuse me, your parents’ “thirty thousand a year.”
Lastly, joking about the tragic death of a student is a bit distasteful. If you have such staunch opinions concerning the way the university is run, perhaps running for a student office may be a more productive avenue for making a difference. If not, you could always run a California gubernatorial campaign.
If you want to save at UM, consider opting for the discount parking pass, that’ll save you $100. You also might want to buy some books online at places like half.com – that’ll save you money as well. Furthermore, the Richter Library is an amazing facility that has, or can get from another library, nearly anything you desire. Utilizing the vast variety of resources that this “private institution” has to offer is a superb way to take advantage of the opportunities that the University of Miami provides for you.

Blake Scanlon
Graduate Assistant

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...