HURRICANE HEALTHWATCH

Dear Hurricane,

I’m a freshman far away from home for the first time in my whole entire life and nobody really talks to me on campus. In high school, I was a shining star, but here I feel like a broken grain of sand, lost on a deserted island that is filled with palm trees and exotic natives. On top of this, school work is way too complicated and the expectations of my professors are wicked unclear in almost every one of my classes. Can anyone hear me? I’m sending out an S.O.S.

Sincerely,
[Un]shining star

Dear [Un]shining star,
Your description sounds like a dream vacation!
But all joking aside, it’s common for you to feel this way. Most new students may feel anxious, sad, lonely, depressed, scared or nervous when trying to adjust to college life. For many, college is the first time that they are on their own, and separation from familiar faces and places can be difficult.
College is also very different from high school. College courses generally require more time and preparation outside of class. Further, professors are not always available. Students sometimes find it hard to manage the abundance of free time outside of classes.
Fortunately, the confusion does not last forever.
There are many ways of getting through this difficult time. Consider joining a club or intramural sport. The Wellness Center organizes a myriad of intramural and club sports. Recreational sports are popular and a lot of fun. Campus events, lectures, clubs, student organizations or programs held in the residential colleges are also great ways to meet people and get involved.
Do you need a break from campus? The Ibis shuttle will take you to Coconut Grove on Fridays and Saturdays 8 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. There also is a shuttle service that takes students back and forth to the Shops at Sunset Place if you would like to catch a movie or do a little shopping. This shuttle runs on Fridays and Saturdays from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Most importantly, I want to let you know that many people understand exactly how you feel.
The Counseling Center is just one place that offers students the opportunity to discuss feelings and receive advice on making Miami your home away from home.
The Counseling Center is located in building 21-R [near Eaton Residential College]. The Counseling Center offers a variety of services including individual counseling, group counseling, career counseling, workshops and special programs, and a self-development tape library.
Many of these services are free to UM students.
So, take advantage of the tuition you pay: Get out and make some friends right away!

Sincerely,
Tierini D. Hodges

Tierini D. Hodges is a COPE [Counseling Outreach Peer Education] counselor. She is a senior majoring in psychology with a minor in English. For more information on services offered by the Counseling Center, call 305-284-5511. For more information on Wellness Center programs, call 305-284-5433.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...