Florida executes Coral Gables minister, Paul Hill

For the first time in American history the fierce debates on abortion and capital punishment juxtaposed themselves inside Florida’s execution chamber on September 3rd.
Former Coral Gables resident and Presbyterian Minister, Paul Hill was put to death for the 1994 shotgun slaying of abortion doctor, John Butler and his escort James Barret outside their Pensacola clinic.
The sad cycle of violence should serve not as a lesson in civil liberties and appropriate criminal justice but as a wake up call to those who have forgotten the tremendous value of human life. Whether a woman has the legal right to choose or not, abortion clearly represents immoral action with zero regard to life’s worth.
America should look upon Paul Hill and the murderous Christian terrorists who support him not as avenging or preventing the deaths of aborted babies but as cold-blooded murders. Their pro-life mantra abounds with hypocrisy as they celebrate the assassination of a fellow man. As with all religious fundamentalist organizations, they attempt to justify their violent action with faith. Absolutely nowhere in the New Testament does Jesus justify murder. The supporters of Paul Hill should never refer to themselves as doing Christ’s work.
Shooting lethal poisons through the veins of Paul Hill completes the gruesome cycle of violence. In this particular case, a life of incarceration would have served as far greater punishment for the defrocked minister who greatly anticipated death to receive his “reward in heaven” and used his widely reported last words to encourage copycat abortion slayings. Remorseless murderers like Paul Hill end up in a far hotter place than heaven. Taking Hill’s life has resulted in tremendous media coverage and encouraged proponents and sympathizers of his movement to threaten more clinics with violence. Florida foolishly gave the pro-life movement’s radical wing a new “martyr” to revere and emulate.
An expansion of birth control and abstinence based sex education will significantly decrease unwanted pregnancies and the subsequent violent deaths of unborn babies in America. The pro-life movement should not sway from their task at hand and turn to violent protest that counteracts and negates their cause. With the likelihood of two vacancies on the nation’s highest court, pro-choice proponents may no longer find legalized abortion and the constitutional “right to privacy” implicit within the 9th Amendment’s context. As representatives of the people, Democratic Congressional legislators have an obligation to vote Presidential judicial nominees up or down and discontinue their despicable practice of filibustering conservative justices.
The state of Florida should work towards tearing down a culture of violence encompassing abortion and vigilante murder by resisting its bloodlust for a barbaric justice through capital punishment.

Pete Trombadore can be contacted at petetrombadore@hotmail.com.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...