What’s the Bid Deal?

If you’re wondering why there were so many attractive gentlemen gathered wearing Greek letters around the Rock on Friday, or hundreds of women on Sunday, it might be helpful to know that these days were Bid Days for all Inter-Fraternity Council [IFC] organizations and Panhellenic sororities.
On Friday, the IFC formally announced which men decided to go Greek and which organization’s bid they accepted.
For the past three weeks, IFC fraternities have sponsored recruitment events, during which brothers and alumni discussed what makes their organization special, informing potential new members the benefits of being a fraternity man.
Sororities have a similar process, which went on for all of last week. Their Bid Day occurred on Sunday. Be on the lookout for more information regarding who went where in the Greek system.
Additionally, organizations from the National Pan-Hellenic Council as well as from the Latino Greek Council follow a slightly different recruitment schedule, called intake. During this process, organizations hold “informationals,” or interest meetings. At these sessions, potential new members learn about the ideals, history and activities of the chapter.
The Greek Panorama is coming up on Sept. 23 at 7 p.m., location TBA.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...