What’s the Bid Deal?

If you’re wondering why there were so many attractive gentlemen gathered wearing Greek letters around the Rock on Friday, or hundreds of women on Sunday, it might be helpful to know that these days were Bid Days for all Inter-Fraternity Council [IFC] organizations and Panhellenic sororities.
On Friday, the IFC formally announced which men decided to go Greek and which organization’s bid they accepted.
For the past three weeks, IFC fraternities have sponsored recruitment events, during which brothers and alumni discussed what makes their organization special, informing potential new members the benefits of being a fraternity man.
Sororities have a similar process, which went on for all of last week. Their Bid Day occurred on Sunday. Be on the lookout for more information regarding who went where in the Greek system.
Additionally, organizations from the National Pan-Hellenic Council as well as from the Latino Greek Council follow a slightly different recruitment schedule, called intake. During this process, organizations hold “informationals,” or interest meetings. At these sessions, potential new members learn about the ideals, history and activities of the chapter.
The Greek Panorama is coming up on Sept. 23 at 7 p.m., location TBA.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...