Senate discusses six bills, ratifies new officers in SG

The SG Senate held its second meeting of the semester last week. During the meeting, last week’s bill to amend the UM Constitution in reference to senator attendance was brought up for a second reading and voted on. It was passed after debate over semantics and hypothetical possibilities. Six new bills were discussed during the session: one to ratify a Supreme Court justice, four to ratify elections commissioners, and the last to place a referendum in the Fall 2003 elections ballot.
Congratulations to Juan Broche on his ratification as Supreme Court justice.
Congratulations are also in order for Yadelene Riesgo, Xavier Arcentales, Tatiana Sanchez and Nathalie Siru for their ratification as elections commissioners.
The incorporation of the bill to place a referendum in the Fall 2003 elections ballot resulted in the greatest discussion. Authored by Bryan Weisbard, Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee [SAFAC] chairperson, the bill called for a $5 increase in the student activity fee, active beginning in the 2004-2005 academic year.
Mr. Weisbard explained that the increase would go to fund current and future student organizations at UM. After much discussion, the Senate offered to amend the bill to include an increase of $2.50; an amendment which Mr. Weisbard accepted.
The bill was then passed and is expected to appear on the Fall 2003 Elections Ballot for the student body to vote on.
The session ended after project updates and information on upcoming events were given.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@miami.edu.

Chelsy Castro can be contacted at CURLS34@aol.com.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...