Culture

EYE FILLER: An evening at OPIUM with ex-porn star/VJ Simon Rex

Ex-porn star and newcomer to the bigger screen, Simon Rex, played host to a convivial bash last Saturday evening at the exotic celebrity hotbed, Opium, to celebrate the release of his upcoming breakout film, Scary Movie 3.

Another sequel to the original, okay Scream-spoof, Rex plays a character named George next to a surprisingly virile cast, including Charlie Sheen, Denise Richards, Queen Latifah, and the godfather of slapstick, 79 year-old Leslie Nielsen.

“He’s my idol,” Rex said in genuine admiration as we chatted over “Rapper’s Delight” and “Gin and Juice” about how fun the movie was to make. Most of us recognize Rex from his days as a model for Boss and Levi’s and for his mid-’90s veejay stint at MTV. Now 29, he was notoriously fired from a gig at Disney due to his leafless past, and recently appeared in a Chevy Chase film called, The Karate Dog, as a detective who befriends a talking canine that studies martial arts…moving along. Currently back at the channel’s studios, he’s starring in a new boobtube show based closer to reality entitled “Channel Surfing” alongside friend Jordan Reuben.

Born in San Francisco, Rex has spent his lucrative and lavish 20s modeling, partying, and catching flights from NYC, Milan, and Los Angeles, where he’s presently dwelling. But he loves visiting Miami so much that he can’t wait to get a place here – surprisingly, one not in South Beach, but in the Grove. And yes, he’s single – which will make future Thursdays at Moe’s just a little more enticing for the ladies of UM, no?

– Rachel Cusick

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...