EYE FILLER: An evening at OPIUM with ex-porn star/VJ Simon Rex

Ex-porn star and newcomer to the bigger screen, Simon Rex, played host to a convivial bash last Saturday evening at the exotic celebrity hotbed, Opium, to celebrate the release of his upcoming breakout film, Scary Movie 3.

Another sequel to the original, okay Scream-spoof, Rex plays a character named George next to a surprisingly virile cast, including Charlie Sheen, Denise Richards, Queen Latifah, and the godfather of slapstick, 79 year-old Leslie Nielsen.

“He’s my idol,” Rex said in genuine admiration as we chatted over “Rapper’s Delight” and “Gin and Juice” about how fun the movie was to make. Most of us recognize Rex from his days as a model for Boss and Levi’s and for his mid-’90s veejay stint at MTV. Now 29, he was notoriously fired from a gig at Disney due to his leafless past, and recently appeared in a Chevy Chase film called, The Karate Dog, as a detective who befriends a talking canine that studies martial arts…moving along. Currently back at the channel’s studios, he’s starring in a new boobtube show based closer to reality entitled “Channel Surfing” alongside friend Jordan Reuben.

Born in San Francisco, Rex has spent his lucrative and lavish 20s modeling, partying, and catching flights from NYC, Milan, and Los Angeles, where he’s presently dwelling. But he loves visiting Miami so much that he can’t wait to get a place here – surprisingly, one not in South Beach, but in the Grove. And yes, he’s single – which will make future Thursdays at Moe’s just a little more enticing for the ladies of UM, no?

– Rachel Cusick

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...