EYE FILLER: An evening at OPIUM with ex-porn star/VJ Simon Rex

Ex-porn star and newcomer to the bigger screen, Simon Rex, played host to a convivial bash last Saturday evening at the exotic celebrity hotbed, Opium, to celebrate the release of his upcoming breakout film, Scary Movie 3.

Another sequel to the original, okay Scream-spoof, Rex plays a character named George next to a surprisingly virile cast, including Charlie Sheen, Denise Richards, Queen Latifah, and the godfather of slapstick, 79 year-old Leslie Nielsen.

“He’s my idol,” Rex said in genuine admiration as we chatted over “Rapper’s Delight” and “Gin and Juice” about how fun the movie was to make. Most of us recognize Rex from his days as a model for Boss and Levi’s and for his mid-’90s veejay stint at MTV. Now 29, he was notoriously fired from a gig at Disney due to his leafless past, and recently appeared in a Chevy Chase film called, The Karate Dog, as a detective who befriends a talking canine that studies martial arts…moving along. Currently back at the channel’s studios, he’s starring in a new boobtube show based closer to reality entitled “Channel Surfing” alongside friend Jordan Reuben.

Born in San Francisco, Rex has spent his lucrative and lavish 20s modeling, partying, and catching flights from NYC, Milan, and Los Angeles, where he’s presently dwelling. But he loves visiting Miami so much that he can’t wait to get a place here – surprisingly, one not in South Beach, but in the Grove. And yes, he’s single – which will make future Thursdays at Moe’s just a little more enticing for the ladies of UM, no?

– Rachel Cusick

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...