EDITORIAL: You’ve violated my public safety bubble

Many students, almost by habit, complain about the public safety situation at UM. It’s like second nature for Canes, it seems. When they drive into the Stanford entrance late at night, and see the gate arm go right up without having to stop or even slow down the car (and the wave from the catatonic security guard), they criticize lax security and pathetic public safety.

Students get public safety emails about crime reports on and near campus, meant to disseminate information about crimes that would help the community take steps to protect itself. You’re meant to post Crime Alerts in public areas so that the information is available to all. A few times, these Crime Alerts have resulted in tips that have solved crimes. But this awareness, which should be beneficial, can be skewed to suggest that campus is full of sneaks and thieves, not to mention honor code violators!
When you find fault, what part of security do you want to improve? What current or former dorm student hasn’t complained about swiping a ‘Cane Card after 10 p.m.? The number one crime on campus, according to the public safety website, is “theft of unattended and/or unsecured property.” This accounts for “between 50% to 80% of all crime on campus from month to month.” If you’re a public-safety-complainer, then it is probably because you’ve been hit by the campus crime wave before. Did you commit a common error, by going to sleep with an unlocked door, or forgetting to lock your car? Maybe you were the one who left his laptop in the library while you took a cigarette break. The website is full of information that everyone should know before it’s too late.
Imagine a massive computer glitch where, instead of having former Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Donna Shalala as president of UM, the school becomes absorbed into the Department of Homeland Security. Doubtless? Then you haven’t gotten the worm yet. The school, now under the same enforcement as airports, becomes surrounded by high fences; every car must be searched before it enters; attendance is kept by swiping your ‘Cane Card. Imagine how fun a protest would be!
This is obvious exaggeration, but students aren’t making it clear either. What do they want of public safety, which is reasonable, affordable, and non-intrusive? When you complain about security, do you complain because of true faults, or just because security is a popular business these days? Try to order a pizza in airport-security dorms. The deliveryman’s likely to get frisked, and your pizza cold.

Where are U?

To date this semester, there have been no letters to the editor. Are we not doing our job? We know we can’t be doing it too well, seeing as how most trash bins on campus are full of copies of the Hurricane. Hasn’t anyone been offended by anything? You haven’t said anything about the new cartoon! Get your opinion on our newspaper out to the public. We are waiting…

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...