Students Unite to reflect On 9/11

Two years after the tragedies of 9/11 brought the UM community and country closer, UM students, faculty, employees and friends once again joined together in remembrance of the victims.
Among the most talked-about of the events, UM’s Cosford Cinema premiered a 9/11 documentary film by UM alum Mike Trebilcock.
The documentary was described by those who saw it as a vivid account of how the South Florida Task Force II, an Urban Search and Rescue Team, hurried to rescue victims from the collapsed World Trade Center.
Trebilcock was a member of that team.
According to the film’s invitational flyer, the film, though graphic with the realities of the catastrophic event, is not meant to shock, but rather “to honor and commemorate the September 11 victims, and pay tribute to New York’s uniformed services.”
Trebilcock, who received his Master of Fine Arts degree in motion picture production at UM in 1997, worked off-duty to create the documentary and is pleased that many of the local firefighter-rescuers were invited to attend.
“There’s an extreme compassion I felt that comes through in the film,” Trebilcock said. “Even watching the events on September 11 unfold, any firefighter feels that it could have been him in there.”
Trebilcock has worked on other films of a political nature, including The Devil’s Corridor, the true story of a Black Panther revolutionary.
“This film is a tribute to the FDNY and the New York Port Authority Police, as well as the 28 urban search and rescue units that teamed up to help,” Trebilcock said.
During the film, a ceremony was held on the Rock that included testimonials from people directly affected by the events of September 11.
Those present sang patriotic songs and held a candlelight vigil that symbolized each person’s light spreading into darkness.
Overall, organizers were pleased with the 9/11 remembrance events.
“It was a great opportunity to take time out of our busy schedules to reflect not only on the tragic event, but on how fortunate we are to be alive – to be free,” said Robert Castro, intern for student affairs.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby@umsis.miami.edu.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...