NEWS BRIEFS

UM Law ranks with Hispanics

The School of Law recently placed second in Hispanic Business magazine’s list of Top 25 Law Schools for Hispanics. The magazine cited “a diverse faculty that is nationally recognized for its academic excellence and a talented and diverse student body drawn from around the country and Latin America and Europe” as reasons for the high ranking. Dean Dennis Lynch said, “It’s no wonder that so many Hispanic students choose UM as the place to launch a successful career in law.”

Hurricane license tags available
When it’s time to renew your vehicle’s license plate, why not show your Hurricane spirit with a UM collegiate license tag? When you renew your registration at your local tax collector’s office, simply let them know you want to replace your current tag with a specialty license plate. If it is not time to replace the metal plate (every five years), you will pay a few additional dollars. The UM specialty tags cost an additional $25 each year, which goes back to UM. For more information, contact the Specialty License Plate office at 850-414-2541.

Sign up to Help the Hometown

Homecoming 2003: Hurricanes Help the Hometown site leader applications are available in the Volunteer Services Center (UC 240). Applications are due Friday, Sep. 26. Make sure to sign up for an interview time when you turn in your completed application. For more information, contact VSC at 305-284-Give.

Write a letter to be unlisted
Students who do not wish to be listed in the new University of Miami’s Telephone and/or E-Mail Directories, must notify the Registrar, in writing, on or before Friday, Oct. 17.
Bring your letter to the Office of the Registrar. Include in your letter your full name, student number, information to be deleted from the directory (phone and/or address, e-mail or complete deletion including name) and be sure to sign it. The Office of the Registrar has forms in the office that ask for all this information. For more information, contact registrar@miami.edu.

Leadership Summit approaches
The Center for Student Leadership and the Toppel Career Center bring you the 2003 Leadership and Career Summit: The Game of Life. For a $5 deposit, you can enjoy a free lunch and a full day of workshops. For a $10 fee, you may also participate in a fully catered etiquette luncheon at the Faculty Club. Sign-ups are going on now in Student Activities, UC 209, and will carry on until Wednesday, Sep. 18. Don’t miss out on all the fun!

MEISA students talk music
Join MEISA (Music & Entertainment Industry Student Association), a network of students who are talking about the latest trends in music, discussing current issues involving the music industry and meeting and networking with industry professionals at meetings. Past guest speakers include pop music critic for the Miami Herald, producers, remixers and entertainment lawyers. To get more information about meetings, the organization and conferences we attend, send e-mail to mykal_sumter@hotmail.com.

Richter web site redesigned
The Richter Library’s web site, recently redesigned and featuring a Flash-based navigation system, is now live. This fall the site will launch both an e-chat reference service and robust meta-database interlinking system. Faculty and staff are encouraged to have a look at the Richter Library web log to read more about some of these new services.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...