NEWS BRIEFS

UM Law ranks with Hispanics

The School of Law recently placed second in Hispanic Business magazine’s list of Top 25 Law Schools for Hispanics. The magazine cited “a diverse faculty that is nationally recognized for its academic excellence and a talented and diverse student body drawn from around the country and Latin America and Europe” as reasons for the high ranking. Dean Dennis Lynch said, “It’s no wonder that so many Hispanic students choose UM as the place to launch a successful career in law.”

Hurricane license tags available
When it’s time to renew your vehicle’s license plate, why not show your Hurricane spirit with a UM collegiate license tag? When you renew your registration at your local tax collector’s office, simply let them know you want to replace your current tag with a specialty license plate. If it is not time to replace the metal plate (every five years), you will pay a few additional dollars. The UM specialty tags cost an additional $25 each year, which goes back to UM. For more information, contact the Specialty License Plate office at 850-414-2541.

Sign up to Help the Hometown

Homecoming 2003: Hurricanes Help the Hometown site leader applications are available in the Volunteer Services Center (UC 240). Applications are due Friday, Sep. 26. Make sure to sign up for an interview time when you turn in your completed application. For more information, contact VSC at 305-284-Give.

Write a letter to be unlisted
Students who do not wish to be listed in the new University of Miami’s Telephone and/or E-Mail Directories, must notify the Registrar, in writing, on or before Friday, Oct. 17.
Bring your letter to the Office of the Registrar. Include in your letter your full name, student number, information to be deleted from the directory (phone and/or address, e-mail or complete deletion including name) and be sure to sign it. The Office of the Registrar has forms in the office that ask for all this information. For more information, contact registrar@miami.edu.

Leadership Summit approaches
The Center for Student Leadership and the Toppel Career Center bring you the 2003 Leadership and Career Summit: The Game of Life. For a $5 deposit, you can enjoy a free lunch and a full day of workshops. For a $10 fee, you may also participate in a fully catered etiquette luncheon at the Faculty Club. Sign-ups are going on now in Student Activities, UC 209, and will carry on until Wednesday, Sep. 18. Don’t miss out on all the fun!

MEISA students talk music
Join MEISA (Music & Entertainment Industry Student Association), a network of students who are talking about the latest trends in music, discussing current issues involving the music industry and meeting and networking with industry professionals at meetings. Past guest speakers include pop music critic for the Miami Herald, producers, remixers and entertainment lawyers. To get more information about meetings, the organization and conferences we attend, send e-mail to mykal_sumter@hotmail.com.

Richter web site redesigned
The Richter Library’s web site, recently redesigned and featuring a Flash-based navigation system, is now live. This fall the site will launch both an e-chat reference service and robust meta-database interlinking system. Faculty and staff are encouraged to have a look at the Richter Library web log to read more about some of these new services.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...