EDITORIAL: Reflection on 9/11

On this second anniversary of September 11th, as Americans, we reflect on the tragic events that took place. We think of our loved ones and cherish our time with them. We volunteer, donate blood and light candles in remembrance. At the same time, American Muslims are reminded that there is still much work to do.

A report released by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a prominent Islamic civil rights advocacy group, indicates that anti-Muslim incidents in the United States increased by 15 percent after September 11. The CAIR report, the only annual study of its kind, details incidents and experiences of anti-Muslim violence, discrimination and harassment during the past year.

In addition to the direct acts of discrimination and violence, the report looks at the impact of post-9/11 government polices, often related to the U.S.A. Patriot Act, that have had a negative impact on American Muslim civil liberties. Those government actions featured in the report include the March 2002 raids on Muslim families and businesses in Virginia and Georgia, the Special Registration program for Muslim visa-holders, and the “voluntary” interviews conducted with thousands of Iraqi-Americans. The report also outlined the increase in Islamophobic rhetoric by evangelical leaders such as Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.
Florida was reported to be amongst the states to have the largest number of religious and ethnic profiling and workplace discrimination.

Even here in Miami, American Muslims have continued to experience the backlash. A former UM student was followed three times on US-1 and I-95, once directly to the UM Coral Gables campus. Campus security had to get involved and ask the gentleman to leave.

Students have also been specifically targeted at airports, with relatives being asked humiliating questions and to remove certain articles of clothing, such as shirts and headscarves, in public. Even simple things, such as checking on financial aid, turns into an ordeal, with some Muslim students being tagged as “international” students.
Students on campus were the targets of crticism, racism and discrimination in the weeks and months following September 11th. One student was kicked out of the UC for harassing Muslim students.

Islam has the second largest following and is the fastest growing religion in North America. As a country, we are becoming more aware, if not of Islam’s basic teachings, then the importance of learning more about those Americans around us. It must also be remembered that for many Muslims, when told to “go back home,” this IS home.
As we remember the tragic events of September 11, 2001, on this anniversary, let us honor those who are no longer with us by making the world better for those that are still with us.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...