Culture

A Flock Of Seagulls IS DEAD…

Trans Am used to make complex indie music that was perfect for serial killers and nerds. The prog-rockers’ incongruent beats, sparse vocals and abstract keyboards fit well into the background while you filleted your snotty coworker behind TCBY or played Q-bert at home by yourself thinking about time machines and wondering if “Quantum Leap” would ever return to the USA Network.

From 1996 to 2000, this trio from Washington, D.C. released five discs on the Thrill Jockey label, before they realized that they looked and sounded like studious and quiet bookworms, not a rock ‘n’ roll band.

For their last release, 2002’s TA, Trans Am decided it was time to party hard, clich

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...