NEWS BRIEFS

UM license tags available

When it’s time to renew your vehicle’s license plate, why not show your Hurricane spirit with a UM collegiate license tag? When you renew your registration at your local tax collector’s office, simply let them know you want to replace your current tag with a specialty license plate. If it is not time to replace the metal plate (every five years), you will pay a few additional dollars. The UM specialty tags cost an additional $25 each year, which goes back to UM. For more information, contact the Specialty License Plate office at 850-414-2541.

SAFAC seeks freshman delegate

Attention freshmen: A unique opportunity to get involved in student life on the University campus is available to you. The Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee (SAFAC) is seeking applicants for the position of freshman delegate. SAFAC is a highly selective committee of fourteen elected and appointed university students who oversee the budgeting process for all registered student organizations on campus. The committee meets weekly on Wednesdays from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. to hear student organizations’ requests for funding and to make decisions on those requests. This is a great opportunity to get involved, enhance communication skills, meet new people, have a voice in how your student activity fee money is spent at UM and have some fun, too! Regular attendance is required, so you must have the time slot (3:30-5:30 p.m.) free on Wednesday afternoons. Applications are available in Whitten University Center, room 209. The deadline for accepting applications is Sep. 5. Any questions? Visit us online at www.miami.edu/safac or email safacum@aol.com.

Richter Library web site revamped

The Richter Library’s web site, recently redesigned and featuring a Flash-based navigation system, is now live. This fall, the site will launch both an e-chat reference service and robust meta-database interlinking system. Faculty and staff are encouraged to have a look at the Richter Library Web log to read more about some of these new services.

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...