Neverending EUPHORIA: UM fans express the emotion of Saturday’s comeback victory

GATOR MEAT

‘Canes leave Gators swamped, freshmen react to an explosive home game

he weather forecast predicted a storm in Miami on Saturday night. Although the skies were clear, the prediction was right on target. The ‘Canes delivered a sensational win against the Gators, arguably our biggest rivals.

“I’m really excited that I am one of the lucky few who actually get to see UF come to our home,” Carey McIntyre, sophomore, said.
Amidst the meat grilling on the barbecue at the pep rally and the “I SMELL GATOR” shirts floating around campus, it seemed the ‘Canes would be unstoppable.
“Do not come to this game in a happy mood. You gotta be nasty with these Gators,” Coach Coker said at the pep rally.
After the opening kickoff resulted in a touchdown return, nobody thought the game would be close.

“The Gators stand no chance. Everyone is just waiting for the big win,” Vanessa Krause, sophomore, said. “We are ready to eat Gator meat!”
By the end of the half, however, many had lost hope when the scoreboard read 10-33 in favor of the Gators.
“Miami can’t afford to play down to the level of their competition,” John Norman, sophomore, said. “They have to play their A-game.”
Many people even left the game.

“We were seriously going to leave when there were six minutes left in the third quarter, but a friend convinced us to stay,” Camille Goldstein, freshman, said. “I would have really regretted leaving, because it ended up being the best game of my life.”
The game encompassed every possible emotional high and low. At one moment, a humiliating defeat was imminent, but 30 seconds later, the ‘Canes were pulling off an amazing comeback.

“At the end of the third quarter, it was like the players suddenly realized, ‘Oh wait, we are supposed to win this game,'” Taurri Coyne, sophomore, said.
The ‘Canes shocked the crowd, and surely the Gator players, by scoring three successive touchdowns in the middle of the second half, pulling them back into the game. “Miami doesn’t f*ck around!” James Ranton, sophomore, said.
As the fourth quarter played out, ‘Canes fans could probably be heard in Gainesville. The crowd became more excited with every play.
“We are the number one Gator-haters!” Keri Bolden, sophomore, said.
The game ended in a solid 38-33 victory for the ‘Canes.
“It’s an even better win when they think they have you and then you come back,” April Neumann, freshman, said.

This was the first UM game for most freshmen and the first home game of the season.
“It was an experience that certainly did not disappoint,” Cara Richardson, freshman, said. “The energy at this game was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced.”
“I thought things were crazy in my hometown when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers made it to the Superbowl last year, but it’s nothing compared to this,” Shalu Patel, freshman, said.

Before the game, Florida Gator Blake Bonsack said, “I am going to run the field if we win.”
But many Gators say they knew from the outset what the game would be like.
“My Gator cousin is so nervous about this game,” Lara Traver, sophomore, said. “She thinks Miami is going to win.”
Gator fan Chris Davis tried to console his team.
“If the game had ended one quarter early, there would have been a lot of crying ‘Canes.”
Perhaps Delmar Yarbrough, sophomore, put it best.
“To all the Gator fans around here, I’m going to be glad when the game makes you regret your six hour trip.”
“This game belongs on ESPN classics,” James Brodbeck, sophomore, said.

Megha Garg can be contacted at mgarg@umsis.miami.edu

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...